A Comeback Win for the Lady Rams

Olivia Burkley

Senior Rayleen Finau sets the ball to Freshman Bubba.

Jordyn Shingleton, Staff Writer

The Highland Volleyball team defeated Ogden in a hard fought match Tuesday night, by a score of 3 sets to 2. After going down two sets early in the match, the Rams were able to overcome the deficit with several long rallies and pushing Ogden to a final fifth set where the Lady Rams eventually won. This exciting comeback was due in part to stars Rayleen Finau and Freshman “Bubba” Sitake.

“I give it to our setter,” coach Tea Sitake said, when asked who was a game changer for the team. “It’s a lot of work but Rayleen knows how to do her best.”

Sitake, held the team together throughout the grueling game. She secured almost every ball that came to her with a hard hit over the net with the help of Finau, the team’s setter. Finau also had a stand out game with multiple aces and well-placed sets to her outside hitters.

After two hard losses to start out the match, the Rams worked together to beat Ogden 25-16 in the third game, bringing the score back to 2-1 for Ogden. The Lady Rams dominated the fourth set creating a 2-2 standoff between the two teams heading into the final set. The last set was won by Highland, completing the comeback and resulting in a final score of 3-2 for the Rams. This game was an excellent example of the tenacious attitude instilled in Lady Rams this year.

“They did awesome,” Sitake said, “They played good as a team. Maybe not the whole time, but at the end they definitely pulled it together.”

With a new coach this year, the Lady Rams seem to be welcoming her with open arms. Game results have been on an upward swing this year after a tough past couple of years for the team. The team is currently in third place in region and is vying for one of the coveted playoff spots in order to go to the state tournament.

The Lady Rams hope to continue with their success this Thursday, October 1st, when they take on Bountiful @ Highland.