Highland Survives OT Thriller with Bonneville

Talo Latu looks to score against Boneville

Sydney Stam

Jake Boren, Staff Writer

In a nail-biting win over the Bonneville Lakers, the Highland Rams seal the victory in triple OT winning 41-35 thanks to a huge defensive stand and a blocked field goal recovered and ran back for a touchdown.

Despite leading nearly the entire game until the fourth quarter, the Rams were faced with a down to the wire game against the Lakers who were at the time 1-3 in region fighting to clench a spot in the upcoming playoffs.

The Rams came out strong scoring on all three of their first offensive drives, however penalties plagued the rams as one of those touchdowns was called back for holding.

Despite having 7 penalties accounting for over 60 yards, the Rams still managed to hold at least a seven point lead over the Lakers for the majority of the game up until the end of the fourth when the Lakers gained momentum scoring 7 unanswered points to tie the game at 28 all.

Bonneville, with the ball first in OT came out strong and scored almost immediately. However the Rams answered and Jr. James Pembroke punched in the TD from two yards out.

With an unfortunate turn over by the ram’s offense the Lakers were in prime position to seal the victory over the Rams in the second OT. However the stout Highland defense held their own against the Lakers and sent the game into the third OT.

Unable to score, the game was left up to field goal attempt by the Bonneville Lakers to win the game. With an incredible effort from the Highland special teams including Seniors Devon Seiui, and Nathan Roderick the kick was blocked and scooped up by Roderick who returned it for the winning touchdown.

Although the Rams pulled out an impressive victory, there is still a lot to work to be done in order to prepare for the first round of the playoffs. Having been eliminated in the first round for the past two years, this year the Highland looks to maker a deeper run at the state title.

Senior defensive/ offensive lineman Andrew Gramer who accounted for nearly six tackles against the Lakers feels the Rams are ready and willing to put forth the necessary work to be successful in the post season.

“Our attitude toward how we approach this game is different than it has been in years past,” Gramer said. “We are more motivated to succeed. Especially since we haven’t made a second round appearance in two years.”

Highland put together an impressive win giving them much needed momentum heading into the playoffs. The Rams anxiously await the results of a region eight play in game that will determine who they play in the first round. This game will be held at Highland High school on October 30th.