Beauty and the Bell

Michelle+Maya+throws+a+jab+during+a+training+session.+The+Highland+junior+is+a+champion+boxer.+

Sydney Stam

Michelle Maya throws a jab during a training session. The Highland junior is a champion boxer.

Annie Connolly, Senior Editor

A little red door, traditional Latino music that can be heard from the street, and a room full of bags and gloves. To countless inner city kids and athletes, this is home—State Street Boxing.

Of these athletes is Highland junior Michelle “Mayhem” Maya, one the most talented and fearsome boxers in the state. About four years ago, Maya met Dave Mario Ramos, who runs the nonprofit boxing studio with the help of their recently appointed president, Kimberly Ann Debry. The connection was immediate, and for both Maya and Ramos, life changing.

“Most coaches feel a special bond with their athletes. But I spend every single day with Michelle, she’s family to me,” Ramos said.

“He’s like my second dad,” Maya said. “Boxing with him has given me opportunity. It’s kept me off the street and out of trouble, away from drugs and alcohol and the mistakes that every kid faces in the inner city.”

Not only does her training keep her out of trouble, but is truly taking her places. Maya travels once a month for fights, to places such Las Vegas, California, Idaho, or anywhere another girl is willing to fight. However, after her most recent victory at the Glitter Gloves, these opponents have been scarce.

“Girls don’t even want to fight her lately, they’re too scared to lose,” Debry said,

Maya’s reputation clearly proceeds her. If you were to meet Maya at school, her bubbly and personable aura would never clue you into thinking she was this intimidating competitor. She is friendly and unique, but not afraid to stand out.

Maya is not like most girl boxers her age. Before she even steps into the ring for a fight, her confidence is immediately clear.

From head to toe Maya looks the part. She fights in full makeup, with her hair pulled back and styled glamorously, as opposed to the usual braids her opponents fight with. She wears a rosary sent to her from her grandparents, and wears socks and a bandana decorated to represent her Mexican heritage. For Maya, the support of her trainers, her family, and as a religious athlete, her beliefs and her God, give her confidence as she steps into the ring. She accredits her success and victory to this support as she has worked persistently these past four years.

It was her victory at the Glitter Gloves that Maya won her first belt, her prized possession. Maya the friendly school girl didn’t win this, it was someone else entirely. As soon as the bell rings, she sheds her sweet persona, and it becomes clear what her competitors are so scared of. Her fierce stare remains constant as she moves with both strength and precision. She hits with startling power, making complicated maneuvers look effortless. However neither this belt nor Maya’s formidable reputation came easy.

Every day starts with school, where Maya manages straight As. After that, it’s right on over to State Street boxing. Her time is comprehensive of technical training and a full body workout. It starts with stretching, then moves to shadow boxing. Then she jump ropes, does footwork in the ring, hits the bag, spars a trainer or a teammate, hits the bag again, repeats the whole process, does sit ups, lunges, more footwork around the ring, hits the speed bag, runs, and repeats. For five to six hours.

Unless, of course, it’s the weekend. In that case, she shows up before sunrise and stays long after it has set.

“You’ve never seen a worker like Michelle,” Debry said. “She’s concentrated and determined. But she is always willing to take her own training time to help others,”

Maya can be found every day taking young boxers under her wing. They literally follow in her footsetps as they mock her technique and footwork around the ring. Everyone greets Maya as a sister and a leader. Even her closest friends at the studio watch in awe as she pounds the bag with speed, accuracy and astonishing power.

State Street Boxing has become Maya’s home, safe haven, and family. What began with training has become her passion. She trains others, and assists Ramos and Debry with the business side of things as well.

“I never even ask her to do things for me, when she sees a need for help she just does it,” Ramos said.

For Maya, and everyone at State Street Boxing, it’s so much more than a sport.

“It’s amazing how many people, men and women, struggle with self-esteem and confidence today,” Debry said. “Our curriculum is based on empowerment and helping people to feel great about themselves.”

Debry learned for herself the power of self-esteem. She has used boxing to overcome substance abuse problems in the last several years, “keep her head above water”. Along with Ramos, her goal for the studio is to show all their boxers how they can do the same. Since State Street Boxing was founded seven years ago, the non-profit has helped several Hillside and Highland students stay out of trouble.

“Our studio is 90 percent minority. In the inner city, there’s so many dangerous places kids can go after school. By coming here, they don’t have to face those challenges,” Ramos said. “They can grow mentally and physically and become a part of something… We show kids that no matter what their life is like at home there are people who will look out for them.”

With collegiate and Olympic prospects, Maya’s victories are far from over. With Ramos, Debry, and her whole family by her side, she should be swinging passionately for years to come.