Underdog Rams Advance to the Semi’s

Sydney Stam

Rick Schmidt looks to shoot during the 4th quarter.

Jordyn Shingleton, Web Editor

Winning yet another round of play-offs, this Wednesday, against the Mountain View Bruins, 76-64, Highland advances to the semi-finals against Timpview, this Friday at 4.

Two three-pointers in the first five minutes of the game shot by Senior Brevin Elsholz set the game in motion for the rams. Everyone who stepped onto the court was focused and confident enough to come out with a victorious win.

Highland had the lead throughout the whole game, finishing off the first quarter with a solid score of 18-8. Mountain View caught up on the rams a couple times, but highland’s strong defense blocked them from stepping on their victory.

Defense was a key point in Wednesday’s game. Due to the bruins’ strong offense, highland had to keep up the wall between the ball and the net.

“In the first half we were solid on defense,” senior Eian Brightwell said. “I think that’s why we were so comfortable going into halftime.”

Halftime is like starting over 0-0 for the players. Their minds are set to win the half, and to not worry about the score from the previous half. Halftime score was highland 33-16.

Right before the halftime buzzer, senior Ryan Lambson’s already pained knee, blew out on a jump shot. It all happened so fast that everyone was around him within 10 seconds. Yet, after they carried him out, the team worked extra hard without one of their key players on the court, and won the game without worry.

Highland and Mountain View were trading three’s throughout the length of the game. Back and  forth they scored on each other’s side of the court behind the 3-point line.

“Coach has always emphasized rebounding,” Brightwell said. “Not turning the ball over, and playing intense.”

This is what the rams are hoping to accomplish when they take on Timpview this Friday, March 4th.

“Our team played really well under pressure,” sophomore Elijah Shelton said. “This Friday we are trying to focus on not looking past teams, the big guys are going to be a challenge to get around, but hopefully we can overcome their shots and get to that championship game.”