A New Life For Holst Brings New Opportunities

Olivia Burkley

Holst works towards the ball during the Highland Women’s Soccer game against Box Elder

Ana Toronto, Staff Writer

Living as an only child for 15 years, Freedom Flowers didn’t have to share anything. All of this changed when Alessia Holst came to the United States earlier in August. As a host sister to Holst, they now share a house as well as a room. Sharing many interests including soccer, Flowers and Holst have gotten along like family. It has to be exciting to play the first game of the season in a different country and score a goal. That’s exactly what varsity soccer player Alessia Holst accomplished. Holst is a foreign exchange student from southern Finland. She has been in the United States for a month and a half and already has already had many opportunities to play in all varsity games. Holst is a junior at Highland and will be staying for 10 months. She currently lives with Highland Sophomore Freedom Flowers, and her family. Before Holst came to the United States, Flowers was just living with her parents.

“Having her in the family is really great,” Flowers said, “She is like the sister I never had because

I’m an only child. She likes the same activities I enjoy. She is my best friend. ”

Many people describe Holst as energetic, kind and outgoing. These characteristics are shown in the way she plays. When she has the ball, she is very confident and plays with a joy that is contagious. Not only does she love to play the game, she is very knowledgeable about the sport as well.

“She knows a lot about soccer and I can ask her for feedback when I mess up.” Flowers said. “She helps me understand what I did wrong.”

Both Holst and Flowers play offense and work together during games. Holst plays forward and Flowers plays wing. They are glued to the hip for most of the day. From soccer practice to sharing a room, they love to spend time with each other.

“It has been a lot of fun to watch Alessia and Freedom play together,” teammate Gracie Mae Smith explains, “They act like sisters on and off the field. They work and play the game together so well.”

Since she was 11 years-old Holst has been playing soccer in Finland. Holst has a natural talent that is irresistible. When soccer coach Brad Kooyman saw videos of Holst he knew he had to have her on the team. He saved a spot for her on varsity and wanted her to enjoy the time she would be spending in the United States.

“Freedom told me she was coming in the spring, and so I went and looked her up on YouTube and Facebook and I could she that soccer was very important to her,” Coach Kooyman said.

After seeing her practice with the team he decided to put her in the varsity game against Ogden. Holst scored a goal during her time on the field and Kooyman saw how much talent she had. Releasing that she had the ability to play with the varsity girls, he decided to play her on varsity for the rest of the season. One of the things that soccer has taught her is how to cooperate with other people. It has been a big shift from playing in Finland compared to the United States. In Finland they use passing and strategies, but in the United States the players are way more competitive and aggressive. This change has made things harder for Holst but she has adjusted because of her work ethic and her willingness to cooperate with her teammates.

“It’s fun to have her on the team because we are her first idea of what American high school is like. It is cool to play with someone from a different background,” Smith said.

Not only does she participate in soccer but also she enjoys things a normal teenager does. Some of the things she loves to do is listen to music, and go out with friends. She has made so many new friends that all think she is so unique and friendly.

“I love Alessia. She is the sweetest person and I have loved getting to know her,” classmate Sammy Agbor said. “She can even bench press more than the boys!”

Once Holst leaves there will be a lot of lives she will have had changed and many people that will miss her. These short 10 months will fly for her friends and family.

“I think our whole family will be really sad when she leaves,” Flowers said.

“She is a big part of our lives. Even our aunts and uncles love her. We will definitely keep in touch with Alessia.”