Rams Crumble in First Road Test at Olympus

Julia Daines

Sophomore Liki Makaui attempts a free-throw during the game at Olympus.

Parker Smith, Sports Editor

A running start to the season for the Highland boys basketball team was just what they needed to pick up some momentum heading into one of biggest games of the season against cross-town rival, Olympus. The first quarter proved promising for the steep-underdog Rams, but after that, it was clear that the loss of three seniors from last-year’s championship team wasn’t holding the Titans down at all.

The Rams fell 75-47 at the final whistle, but it seemed as if the energy from the team left the gym a quarter before. Constant turnovers crushed any offensive chances and lacking transition defense doomed the young team into their inevitable undoing. This inexperience showed in their vulnerability in the midst of a big game in a hostile environment, which the Rams haven’t seen much this season until now.

“This Olympus team could very well be the best team in region 4A,” head coach Jim Boyce said. “I’m proud of how my boys fought through the first half, but in the second half, we lost our focus.”

A quick five points from junior Elijah Shelton pushed the Rams to a lead within the first minutes as the offense was clicking. Then the Titans took to a full-court defense, pressuring the inbound after every made basket. This pressure brought out sloppy passing and ball-handling, which lead to turnovers and easy points for Olympus, keeping the game tight throughout the quarter. Isolation plays left Shelton with a one-on-one battle and room to work with, and he took advantage. Seven points from the junior in the first kept the Rams in pace with Olympus, trailing 18-17 at the conclusion of quarter one. Then the Titans let loose.

Olympus began to find their rhythm from the outside, which is what they’re known for. Opening the second quarter with three unanswered three-pointers, the Titans were suddenly ahead 34-22 with just four minutes remaining in the second. On the other side, the perimeter shooting from the Rams was lacking, which Shelton thought could be due to the questionable shot selection.

“We were struggling finding shots within the offense.” Shelton said. “We have to take better shots and find the openings in the defense, which we didn’t do tonight.”

The Titans didn’t slow down, pushing their lead to over 20 at the end of the first half, Highland down 47-26. Halftime couldn’t put a stop to the momentum Olympus had gained in the second quarter, as they cruised coming out of the break, while the Rams still looked flat. Turnovers cost Highland again as they continued to give the Titans open shots in fast-breaks. And just like that Olympus had torn off on another run, this one larger than the last putting the Rams in a steep hole heading into the fourth, this deficit seemed unreachable with just a quarter left, Highland trailing 62-33.

The final quarter went on as the Titans went through their subs and still Highland could not find any success on the offensive side. The leading scorers, big-man Kayden Hilborn and Shelton finished with 10 and 15 points. In Boyce’s eyes, there is much to gain from this loss going forward.

“We have to challenge ourselves to stop them every defensive possession, and make a great shot on the offensive side of the ball.” Boyce said. “Sometimes when you’re playing a tough team it’s tough to execute, but you got to pick yourself up and dust it off, and continue to play.”

The Rams look to pick themselves up before their next road test, traveling to Judge Memorial on Thursday the 22nd.