Highland Athletes Pledge Their Commitments

Jordyn Shingleton

(From left to right) Brady Reed, Sydney Hathaway, Tevita Noa, and Izzy Vaifoou stand after signing their letters of intent.

Elijah Straight, Editor-In-Chief

The Highland High commons, usually home to students eating lunch, was converted this morning into a place of celebration.  Friends, family, coaches, and teammates gathered together to witness Brady Reed, Tevita Noa, Izzy Vaifoou. and Sydney Hathaway sign their letters of intent to play college sports.

Reed, Noa and Vaifoou all signed letters of intent to play football at the next level with William Penn University, Weber State University, and Utah State University respectively.  Hathaway on the other hand signed her letter of intent to play soccer at Salt Lake Community College.  Today all over the nation is what is known  as “National Signing Day,” where high school athletes commit to schools that have offered them scholarships to play at the next level.  This is an exciting time for athletes as the future of their sport and education is right in front of them.

“Signing is awesome because you get to continue what you love to do, and I get to continue to play football and I get my tuition paid for,” Reed said.  “I’d just like to say thank you [to the coaches].  I mean I couldn’t have done it without them.”

Even the usually stoic Coach Benson was visibly excited to see athletes that he has personally coached and helped in the weight room, take that next step.

“I understand how difficult it is to go and be an athlete and play a college sport, so it’s the beginning of this whole process over again,” Benson said.  “It’s exciting as a coach to see that hard work pay off and to know what they have in front of them.”

Be on the lookout to see these Rams in action next fall.