Gretchen McConkie

Hannah Henderson, Staff Writer

According to the Sterling Scholar program’s website, “a Sterling Scholar is a high school senior who is publicly recognized and awarded for the pursuit of excellence in scholarship, leadership and citizenship in the state of Utah”. Highland’s Sterling Scholar in dance, Gretchen McConkie, is exactly that. From being Highland’s dance company president, to constantly excelling in academics, to showing unconditional love for those close to her, McConkie never fails to impress those around her.

At seven years old, McConkie began pursuing her talent in dance, training at a couple of studios around Salt Lake City, but growing up at the Children’s Dance Theater. Being the current dance company president at Highland, McConkie choreographs and prepares pieces throughout the school year, with concert rehearsals after school and presidency meetings every Monday morning. Starting in February, McConkie will begin to train with the Children’s Dance Theater which will continue until her concert in March.

Because of McConkie’s advanced technique and hard work, she has been given many incredible experiences and had many accomplishments with dance such as performing and being accompanied by the Utah Symphony, performing at Capital Theater, receiving a scholarship to the University of Utah’s modern program, being used for advertising, and having her choreography performed and showcased. Along with these many accomplishments, Gretchen was chosen to be Highland’s Sterling Scholar for dance, which is very important to McConkie.

“I definitely have found the idea of sterling scholar to be important in my life. As a nine-year-old, I watched my sister become a state finalist in the area of English. It was then that I started to understand the depth of what it takes to be a sterling scholar.” McConkie said. “While the scholarship was what initially interested me years ago, I have found that I have been able to elicit qualities within myself as I have strived to become a sterling scholar, which in turn have become much more important to me than the scholarship. I think the idea of what a sterling scholar is and entails has become much more important to me and has helped me to become a better person.”

Along with pursuing dance as a talent and hobby, being able to express herself through dance has been even more special to McConkie throughout her life. To be able to express herself through other mediums, though, is just as satisfying. Expressing herself through her work, writing has been a very important part of McConkie’s high school experience. Having her favorite classes be Journalism and AP Literature, reading and writing continues to keep McConkie very well rounded with her extracurricular activities as well as her schooling.

Gretchen’s mother, Sara, explains how her loyalty, kindness, and sensitivity shows in her emotion while she is dancing, adding to her advanced performances. McConkie’s appealing personality not only shows in the work and hobbies she participates in, but it is shown to everyone around her.

“Gretch is unapologetically herself. She isn’t afraid to be herself regardless what anyone thinks. She is sure about herself and isn’t afraid to stand up for what she believes in which is extremely refreshing and pretty impossible to find. It makes her bold in a unique way.” McConkie’s sister, Sammi, said. “She is also such an amazing sister. I have been really sick for three years in and out of hospitals and she is so selfless and loyal and kind to me. There have been countless weekend nights that she sacrifices going out with friends in order to sit by my side or hold my hair back while I’m sick and her sacrifice on my behalf means everything to me. She is often times the only one who can lift my spirits and I think that kind of dedication and love shows in all that she does.”

With McConkie’s kind and caring personality, she is also very strong and determined.

“[Gretchen] has been known to go jogging in the rain with a shower cap on!” McConkie’s mother, Sara, said. After taking much time out of her day to do her hair, McConkie was invited to go on a jog with her sister while it was raining. Feeling the need to go on a jog but not wanting to put her hard work to waste, McConkie came up with the solution of a shower cap. Although she would risk being seen by her friends and neighbors jogging with a very interesting head piece, that was much better than ruining her beautifully straightened hair.

Excelling in dance as well as academics, McConkie very well deserves the Sterling Scholar award. Not only is McConkie an incredibly hard worker, but she is also kind, sensitive, and determined. Moving past whatever comes in her way, McConkie is going to continue to achieve many accomplishments with the Sterling Scholar award being one of many.