Thomas Leads Baseball Team on the Field

Hannah Henderson, Staff Writer

The time for peanuts and crackerjacks is back as Highland’s baseball team begins playing in a new season. With lots of practice, the team is back better than ever with players that are determined to have a good season. Returning with the team, Highland junior, Spencer Thomas, picks up a glove
and ball to start improving himself and his team for their upcoming games.

Thomas has been playing the sport of baseball since he was six years old. As the pitcher along with playing first and third base, Thomas continues to help his team do their best at every game. With a lot of practice and experience on the Highland team as well as other competitive teams, Thomas has worked hard to get to the level he is at today.

“Ever since I could remember I was always throwing a baseball or swinging a bat in my backyard or at a field,” Thomas said. “I don’t remember why I started but I just know I loved it and had a passion for the game.”

For Thomas, baseball has had a major impact on his life. Holding large expectations of himself and high goals for him to reach, Thomas learned to have a good work ethic as well as strong self-discipline throughout his training. This has not only helped Thomas improve in the sport of baseball, but it has helped him to be a better person throughout his everyday life.

“I play because it is something that I love and it is something that I live for.” Thomas said. “Baseball has given me a work ethic and it has taught me to work hard for your goals and to not stop until you reach them. It helps me become a better leader to people around me and it teaches many lessons that I can apply into my life that benefits me every day.”

Thomas gives an example of how his strong work ethic and self-discipline has helped him to grow and improve in the sport of baseball.

“I remember when I was 8 and I was on a new travel team that was very competitive.” Thomas said. “I wanted to be the best on the team and I wanted to be the guy that pitched the big championship games. I worked hard all season to get to that point. Our team made it to the championship game that season and I was the one that pitched and won the game. That has always stuck with me, you can achieve anything you want to if you have the work ethic.”

Baseball has helped Thomas to get to where he is today, not only in the sport, but as a person. Continuing to train with Highland’s baseball team this season, Thomas will continue to grow and strengthen his work ethic and help the team to do the same. Positive results are expected to come out of this upcoming season and the Highland students and faculty are going to continue to support Thomas and this season’s baseball team.