Prospect of Radio Broadcasting Class

Adeline Rigby, Staff Writer

Have you ever considered how difficult the task of being a radio broadcaster is? Using words to paint a vivid picture of what is happening at any given moment exactly, even seamlessly, unscripted, without awkward pauses. Relaying everything to an audience that cannot see what is happening.  The audience needs to know how the ball was passed, by whom was it passed, who received it, the reaction in the stands, and the players’ emotions as they play. They need to know what the weather is doing at any specific time.  All of this, instantaneously, impromptu, and sometimes beautiful. Our eyes cannot see the picture created, but our mind does. That is the job of a radio broadcaster.

Highland has the amazing opportunity to give its students hands on radio experience next year in a radio broadcasting class.  This is thanks to Junior Kai Mack.

Mack took Highland’s TV Broadcasting class as a freshman, and after attending a broadcasting awards ceremony, his interest was piqued in the area of Podcasting.  He approached his TV broadcasting teacher, Jenny Hardy, and introduced the idea of a radio broadcasting class.

[podcasting] seemed like something I could do because I talk a lot,” Mack said. “It’s a really good job field, I’d love to go into that.”

In exploration of this career path, the Radio Production class, listed as a CTE credit, will include a history of radio and education of the technology used in it.  This class will also include training on how to use all of the equipment needed for a radio show, and hopefully, an actual radio show!  

With a radio station as an option, Highland sporting events could be broadcast,  Listening to Highland Radio announcements on the way to school would be possible.

“This would be an great way to keep students, teachers, parents and community updated on exactly what is happening in and around Highland,” Hardy said. “Announcements would play on a loop and announce things like school closures, dances and games.”

Hardy hopes to gain licensing to play music as well.

On the flip side, the Radio Productions class would also focus on podcasts. Mack is excited to be the president of the PodCast Club, naming it the Ram Horn Podcast.  He hopes to keep students up to date on current events at Highland, interview different clubs, and get to know students.  He would like to make his podcasts all about Highland; past, present, and future as well as the lives of the people at here at Highland.  As Mack hopes to someday work in radio broadcasting, this experience will not only train him in the field, but give him fantastic experience to push his career forward.

As for the future of a Radio Broadcasting class at Highland,  Hardy presented her ideas and reasons why the class would benefit highland to the school board, to be voted on and approved. Now approved, the class must have enough students enroll for next year. The hope is to get enough support for one class next year, and then in years to come, have a beginning and an advanced class.

The airwaves are buzzing with excitement over the idea of Ram Radio and the Radio Broadcasting class.  Excited about the class, some have suggested interviews with foreign exchange students, stories about Refugees at Highland, stories about service happening in the community around Highland, interviews with teams that have finished competitions and want to talk about their games and events, noteworthy stories and poems written by students.  The possibilities are seemingly limitless.  

With support and optimism, Highland’s Radio Broadcasting could become a very important part of the community, keeping people in the loop and helping students achieve their goals.