FAFSA Helping to Pay for College

Opportunities for Financial Aid

Paige Dallimore, Staff Writer

Give me an F…Give me an A…Give me an FSA

What does that get you?

Money for College, coming in the form of FAFSA, or other financial aid options.

The Utah Higher Education Assistance Authority or UHEAA is doing nearly everything they can to reach the attention of students and their parents to cheer on the benefits of seeking financial aid for a college education.

UHEAA has assembled information that they have presented at high schools across Utah to give students from every region an education for their future. Called “Paying For College” or Next Step Night, the most recent presentation was given on Wednesday, November 19th at Woods Cross High School.

There, the opening session, given by Michelle Riddle of UHEAA, was a presentation entitled “How Are You Going to Pay for College” in which she detailed the various ways to finance a college education. Brochures are provided to simplify the often overwhelming onslaught of information. The brochure and presentation offered the facts regarding grants, work study programs, student loans, and how to receive them through the FAFSA.

Riddle made the FAFSA the center of her presentation, as it is something that many are unaware, or misinformed about. FAFSA stands for Free Application for Federal Student Aid. Many opportunities are available through the FAFSA application, however many students do not recognize that they could be eligible, or believe that they do not qualify.

“There’s no income cut-off for federal student aid…Everyone who wants to go to college should file.” the Paying for College brochure states.

The FAFSA offers an opportunity to receive money from the government that does not need to be paid back. Filling out the application also makes a student eligible for many other diversity scholarships, grants, work study programs, or student loans. The FAFSA opens many doors to financial aid.

To receive a grant such as a Pell grant, which offers $5730 dollars of federal or state money to individuals, the FAFSA application is needed. The application provides information about student’s unique financial needs, and therefore determines what type of grant the student may receive. Grants are given to those students who exhibit a financial need.

Another option that involves the FAFSA process is the work study program at a student’s college of choice.

“Work study programs offer flexible hours, are located on-campus, and provide relevant work experience.” Riddle said. “I put myself through college through work study at the library on campus.”

Work study allows students to put their paychecks directly toward their tuition.

If working is not appealing or possible for some, student loans are another option.

“The student loan is the boogeyman of financial aid.” Riddle cautioned. “You will pay back a student loan unless you become permanently disabled or die.”

The student loan is flexible because it allows students to wait until after they have graduated to begin to pay back the loans, however there is interest involved, and the student loan policies vary from school to school. Student loan must be paid back, regardless of if the student graduates or not. Riddle advised to only borrow what is immediately needed to avoid complications, and large amounts of resulting debt.

The final aid is scholarships.

“Scholarships are a good way to get others to pay for your college education.” said Riddle.

Scholarships are readily available from many different outlets, however they require some effort and work. Strengths and talents can be used to target specific categories of scholarships.

“Find what you love, what you’re good at, and focus on it. That passion will shine through in your applications and interviews. The best advice I can give you is to realize that all failures are opportunities. Never give up on your dreams.” Jessika Talbot said in the UHEAA “Paying for College” brochure.

Talbot offers a good point to keep in mind. Senior year is a year of deadlines and inherent stress, however, the work that students are doing now is vital to their futures. It is important to enjoy the process and focus on abilities and accomplishments that will offer the best path.

That being said, those deadlines shouldn’t be taken lightly. The all-important FAFSA application for the 2015 fall semester becomes available on January 1st. The scholarship deadlines for different schools and organizations vary, so it is important to be informed and prepared.

Navigating colleges and how to pay for them is no doubt harrowing at times. For more information about paying for higher education, visit FAFSA.gov or uheaa.org to find information on new event locations and dates.