Mila Finds Positivity In Injury

Rayleen FInau, Staff Writer

What’s your biggest fear as an athlete? Some may say failure. But for Highland Senior, Candice Mila, it’s not being able to play the sport she’s most passionate about, which is volleyball. Mila has been playing since she was 11 years old, and from working hard she’s now one of the Highland volleyball team captains.

It was Saturday morning and the lady rams were going head strong with a record of 4-1 at their varsity East West Tournament.

Only being preseason, they have a lot to show for, with a new coach, Tea Sitake. It was their second day of the tournament, and the biggest game of them all. They would be playing West High School. It would determine if they would take the tournament in first or second place.

The team gathered outside of the gym and Coach Tea began to give her pep talk to hype all of the players before the game.

“This is the game we’ve been waiting for, you’ve got to play as a team and keep doing what we do best. Show them that we came here to play and we’re going to go home with the feeling of success rather than defeat and failure. Show them that we are about what we say. Give me your best and play hard.”

Everyone formed a huddle and taking their coaches words into heart, the deep warm feeling of wanting to win begins to fill the body with energy and motivation. The rams start their warm up and kill every set that was given to them. The overwhelming craving for a win filled the bodies of both teams.

That hype, that adrenaline that makes your heart beat go faster and faster was coming sooner than we thought. The official blows the whistle and the rams begin to prepare for serve receive. The ball comes over with, a firm pass, a great set, and then their best outside hitter, Candice Mila, puts the ball down.

Everything was going so well, being the first year everyone played together as a team. All the summer workouts and open gyms finally paid off on the court. The Rams had a big lead, they kept the drive they had with in them. Lady rams win the first set with a score of 25-14.

The second set begins and the team dominates once again. Being so ahead in the game, the rams kept the energy going and kept working hard.

The panthers serve, and the ball is set to Mila. She approached and put it down but comes crashing down hard, hitting the floor, crying and moaning.

“I have never been in a gym where it’s so silent where I could probably hear a bobby pin hit the ground” Highland senior, Peta Tuita said.

Mila struggled, an athletic trainer approaches to see what exactly is going on. Both teams were on one knee, silent. Observing her leg the trainer tries to move it up and down, but Mila refuses, being in so much pain.

Mila’s dad and uncle help lift her off the court and onto a seat. Tears begin to fall and cover the faces of her teammates. Who would think that the one of the best players on the team would be hurt? Being their first tournament as a team, it was unexpected.

“All I could think was, “this isn’t real.” I’m on my way to see someone who can help me. But all I could do was cry. I was in so much pain, but I couldn’t stop thinking about my team. I even said a prayer with my dad and brother. Just tear after tear continued to fall down my face,” Mila.                                                                                                                                                                 A few days later they went to a doctor’s appointment and she discovered she had torn her ACL, Meniscus and sprained her MCL. Which means she would be out for the season and recovery time would be eight-12 months.

“It was devastating. I wouldn’t wish this upon anyone. It’s my senior and I would have never thought this could have happened to me. But my team certainly helped a lot on comforting me and showing me so much love and support,” Mila.

Although, she wasn’t able to play her senior year. It has definitely helped her become physically and mentally stronger for herself and her team.  She has noticed what a big influence volleyball has in her life, being an everyday thing, from training, to practice, and staying focused in school.

“The injury has been a blessing in disguise. It has showed me that I can’t put volleyball as my main priority. I can’t put it before church, family, or school because those are the most precious things in life. Volleyball will always be there but the rest would be hard to replace,” Mila.