Nathan Koelliker

Alex Sutton, Web Editor

With a silent swoosh, and a faint ping, Nate Koelliker sends the ball flying along with the bat that seems almost weightless in his arms. A senior at Highland, Koelliker plays baseball for the rams, playing mostly (position here) But baseball is more than Koelliker’s favorite pastime – it’s a living as well.

Koelliker helps out at his family’s business where he is mostly in charge of shipping their products. It has not only given him lifelong experience, but also qualified him for the Sterling Scholar award in business.

Koelliker attributes part of his success to one of Highland’s own, CJ Lester.

“Ms. Lester has influenced me a lot because she lets us be creative and use our imaginations with our assignments which an open mind is needed in the business world.” Koelliker said.

Lester is known for her creativity, being an accomplished artist with multiple projects, as well as an aspiring novelist, and credited Koelliker for always putting his own spin on projects and assignments.

“He was always a hard worker, and did exactly what he was supposed to be doing, but in his own way. Nate is good at managing his time well, and knowing when to have fun and when to work hard.”

Lester strives to instill in her students a sense of creativity that starts in art and spreads into other aspects.

And Koelliker is the perfect example. By mixing both baseball and business, he combined his job with his pastime. Koelliker has been playing baseball since he was a kid, either with family or friends. His family’s long history of playing baseball is what led to the development of the Kore baseball, the product and main business that Koelliker does shipping for. Koelliker doesn’t wait for opportunity to come to him either – he runs his own small businesses and side jobs shoveling snow, mowing lawns, and fixing broken electronics.

Lately, Koelliker has been raising money for brain cancer research as well. Going against the stereotype that all businessmen are greedy, Koelliker hopes that the funds will help those like his father, who has struggled with brain cancer for a little over seven years.

“When I think of businessmen I tend to think of young smart people who are easy going and work hard but also give lots of money to charity. Business for me is a way to have an exciting career and also give to others.” Koelliker Said.