Highland Forced To Do Split Assemblies

Jenna Masic, Senior Web Editor

Imagine 1,737 students packed in an auditorium that can only fit 1,400 students.  How safe does that sound?  Just a few days ago, Principal Chris Jenson was in discussion with the state fire marshal when this very topic was brought to his attention.

“The fact that Highland has more students in the building than we have capacity in the auditorium is just scary,” Jensen said.

After this realization, the fire marshal mandated that from now on, the school will perform to have two assemblies on assembly days, with half of the student body attending one, and the other half of the student body attending.  Jensen will be splitting the assemblies like lunches. So if a student’s class is on the third or second floor they will attend the first assembly, and if their class in on the first floor or in the basement they will attend the second assembly.

This new change also applies to students who will be preforming in the assembly as well. All assemblies including talent shows, and performances will be done twice, as well.

The Hello Day assembly, which the fire marshal attended, is the assembly that attracts the most amount of students and was a prime example of why this needs to be enforced. Students sit on the floor which, in case of a fire, would cause too much congestion and students would be unable to get out quickly enough for all to be safe. Later on in the year, overcrowding in the auditorium isn’t considered to be too big of an issue due to the many student who do not attend. Since the fire marshal attended the assembly with the most students this call had to be made.

“To say that I’m putting over 1,700 students in that small of an auditorium makes me very uncomfortable,” Jenson said.

Although some teachers may be upset about the amount of time certain students like SBOs, cheerleaders and stage crew members will have to spend out of class due to this.

“It’s never good to miss class, although some students will look at this as a fun opportunity to miss class,” SBO Secretary Brandt Graham said.  “I personally don’t think it’s good unfortunately it’s a necessary evil that we have to do.”

But, for the sake of Highland’s safety, Jenson believes it is worth the schedule change. But, this isn’t just a problem exclusive to Highland, all other 4-A and 5-A schools have made this adjustment as well.