Pat Eddington Art Gallery Dedication

Students, faculty and alumni gathered in the highland commons Wednesday, September 14th in remembrance of this beloved teacher.

Kyle Adams, Senior Editor

Classic Rock rolls through the Highland foyer… just a little bit too loudly. Students, faculty, and alumni gather around the ram foyer, filtering in and out of the familiar glass-paned art gallery that lies to the right of the bronze ram statue. A happy tone mixed with one of solemn remembrance fills the air.

Beloved Highland art teacher, Pat Eddington, passed away this last March. Eddington dedicated over 30 years of his life to Highland. Until he retired in 2014, Eddington inspired students and faculty with his beautiful art and unique personality. In his honor, Principal Jenson and the Highland arts council decided to dedicate the gallery.

Principal Jenson started his work at Highland, like Eddington, as an art teacher. Jenson kicked off the dedication with touching stories of his rivalry with Eddington as a peer. Alums and Faculty laughed at the little jokes that Eddington used to tell as Jenson retold them. He even explained about a few pranks that Pat used to pull.

“So when it was brought to my attention the idea to dedicate the gallery,” Jenson said. “It was such a natural thing. Especially in getting back at him with one last practical joke. Like ‘Ha Ha we named the art gallery after you.’”

All but the final step of the dedication process has gone through. Once it goes through the board of education, Eddington’s plaque will be placed and the gallery will be graced with his name forever.

Eddington has influenced every student that came into his classroom in some way.

“I’m here tonight because, being literally the first class that I ever took at Highland, it was really special.” Emma Lund, a highland senior, said. “I loved all of the fun experiences that I got to have in that class.”

Highland High has been a part of the valley community for a very long time. Dean Collett can tell you that much. Highland’s hundreds of new and graduating students each year have shaped the cultural landscape around it. Influential teachers like Eddington shape the community through its students in a way that most people don’t have the opportunity to.

Paul Musser was a student of Eddington’s from 1992-96 when Highland was going through a big remodel. The first class that Eddington ever held in the room that he retired in (which used to be part of the lunch room) was during the end Musser’s senior year.  Now Musser works at Foothill Branch Library in the children’s section making his impact on yet another generation.

“Pat was the reason I went into art,” Musser said. “Pat really made me want to be an art teacher. He made me see that I could have a future in art. It’s really because of Pat that I went to college. He helped me get my full-tuition art scholarship to the U. It was a big deal to me and I wouldn’t have gone to the U without him.”