Highland Rams Skin a Leopard in Region Game

Nick Lloyd

Senior Charlie Gochnour goes for a layup.

Jordyn Shingleton, Senior Editor

Friday night’s rivalry basketball game against East was definitely one for the books.

Highland had the lead in the first half of the game, scoring back-to-back layups and three pointers. They trailed off in the third quarter, but with the Black Hole’s help, the team managed to out score the leopards for a final score of 60-54.

Juniors Trayton Keys, Elijah Shelton and Oscar Maxfield led the offensive side of the court in a fast moving, ankle-breaking game. Shelton and Maxfield worked together to bring in three pointers from all sides of the court, while Keys either rebounded the ball or made his own outstanding lay-ups.  

The Rams teamwork has increased over the many games, and was definitely shown on the court Friday night.

During the first quarter of the game, the Rams were getting a feel for the court and ended with a one point lead, 11-10. The second quarter moved by pretty quickly with a final score at halftime of 24-22 for the Rams. Highland slowly lost their lead during the third quarter when East’s defense picked up and out scored the Rams 43-37.

After a tough third quarter, Highland’s Coach Schreider came over to the student section and laid one on all of us. He told everyone in the Black Hole to start cheering to help the team finish strong. After that, the Black Hole has never been louder. Everyone was chanting and cheering for the boys and soon enough, the Leopards 10 point lead turned into a sudden flipped victory for the Rams. Three amazing three-pointers were made, and the team had won the game 54-60.

The Rams took their victory steps by rushing into each other’s arms and joining the students in celebration that they had skinned a leopard!

The team will play next Tuesday, February 14th at home for another hopeful victory!