Get out and see “Get Out”

Courtesy of google images

Courtesy of google images

Katarina Schilling, Staff Writer

No matter the event, if you have a free night within the next couple weeks, Get Out is definitely the movie to see.  Written by Jordan Peele from the comedy duo Key and Peele, Get Out managed to fit nicely into the horror/thriller genre while still having an entertaining, funny script.

Chris (Daniel Kaluuya) is traveling to meet his girlfriend Rose’s (Allison Williams) parents.  Chris is Rose’s first black boyfriend, and is very scared to enter her family’s all-white town, and rightfully so. Upon arrival, everything in the town seems quite strange.  It is hard to put your finger on just what feels wrong, but there is definite tension between Chris and Rose’s family.

While still managing to latch onto the hard-hitting issue of racism in a chilling horrific way, the movie remains bearable.  When imagining a horror movie, many picture gore and loud sounds.  But in Get Out, while there is certainly a bit of blood and jump scares, these factors do not drive the entirety of the film.  I find that this helps the point the movie is trying to get across stay in sight, and that is the fact that racism is still present today, even outside of fictional thrillers.

“I was surprised by the ending,” Noah Bland, a sophomore at Highland, said “I didn’t think it would take that psychologically dark of a turn so quickly.”

Despite the psychological games this movie plays, there is plenty of relief found in the comedy in the film.  Some parts are amusing enough to cause you to forget that Get Out is even a horror movie in the first place.  This makes it a good movie for everyone to see, even those that aren’t adrenaline junkies.

The set, although simple, is very effective in setting the scene.  It looks quite old fashioned, with a farm and a large cottage-looking home.  This old style set could relate to the old fashioned views of the family in the movie.  Not only can it represent deeper parts within the movie, but it is also fairly creepy when the scene is set at night, which helps to get hearts racing during quite a few scenes throughout Get Out.

Ultimately, Get Out was a very good movie.  For horror lovers, it does a fantastic job of getting inside your head and making you shake with anticipation.  On the other hand, if you are more of a comedy lover there are great humorous elements within the film that can make you double over with laughter.  Get Out is a great movie for everyone, that is, if you are prepared for a shocking ending.