Comcast Cares About The Community

Comcast Cares About The Community

Lauren Brown, Staff Writer

Earth Day is a day to spend time in the beautiful outdoors whether that is hiking or mowing the lawn. It is a day to take care of the Earth by throwing stuff away in the recycling bin or cleaning up areas like Highland High School.

For many students at Highland, this past Earth Day, April 22nd, was spent at Comcast Cares. The day was spent completing various projects around Highland, ranging from painting classrooms to pulling weeds.

Since 2001, Comcast has put on a volunteer day, not only at Highland but all over the world, as a celebration of their commitment to service. Many people have and will continue to come out for this single-day volunteer event as it helps bring together the community.

Comcast Cares definitely helped bring together the community around Highland this past weekend as teachers, students, Comcast employees, family, and friends all came out to make Highland a better place. People were working on deep cleaning classrooms, giving a new paint job to other classrooms and the parking lot, pulling out weeds at the “H” rock, and even spreading out fresh mulch around plants.

Junior Soko Brown spent her time at Comcast Cares working on the recycling bin painting project.

“I enjoyed helping,” Brown said. “I was able to do something I love (art) to serve the community.”

Many students, including Brown, were able to use their talents to make the recycling bin in the parking lot look more appealing. They painted everything from a ram in a field of flowers to the whole Earth. They were able to give back to the community by using their talents, along with other people who were gifted in different areas that helped the Highland community.

Comcast Cares Day was not only a day to show that Comcast cared about Highland High, but a day to show that everyone in the community cared about the Earth and wants to see our community become a better place all around. Most people will agree that Earth Day was a success this year as they did their part in giving back to the community.