From Canvas to the Track

Alex Sutton, Staff Writer

Most know Ms. Hunter as an art teacher here at Highland. Those that have been inside her room would immediately recognize her love for art is more than just a job, but a passion. From the Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and Harry Potter posters hanging, to the almost lifelike paintings, pictures, and illustrations that catch your eye on an otherwise uninteresting white wall, Ms. Hunter’s appreciation for art stands out above most.

Hunter wanted to be a teacher from the start. It is only her second year here at Highland, and already she has made quite the impact with her teaching. She teaches a variety of Photography, an AP art history class, and a variety of other art classes.

“She’s really personal, she’s the kind of teacher that can easily be your favorite. She encourages people to do art, no matter how skilled they are, and it makes a good environment. To me, she’s kind of like a friend because of all the art I do, and she supports me a ton.” Miranda Roland, one of Ms. Hunter’s art students said about her as a teacher.

Another group of students have the opportunity to call her Coach. Ms. Hunter is one of Highland’s Cross country and track coaches. Running was a passion that she inherited from her dad. She ran in high school, and at the old school she taught at, she was head coach.

The cross country season just ended, but the runners still keep going to maintain their paces that they worked so hard to achieve. In the spring, track and field will begin, and the long distance runners will once again fight for first.

“I look forward to working with the cross team again. We have always been a small group, but we’re like family.”

Should you find yourself wanting to get better at running, or in search of the meaning of Picasso’s Old Guitarist from his blue period, look no farther than the class room of Tera Hunter.