Mathematician to Statistician

Parker Smith, Staff Writer

Silence can be deceiving. The absence of words or sounds being emitted by one person doesn’t make them less intelligent than any other person, though this can be perceived that way. It’s about the ticking clock inside their head calculating the next step that makes an individual so unique. For Josh Christensen, his mind is always moving even though his mouth may not.

Christensen was a quiet kid growing up. Being home-schooled till 7th grade gave him a unique perspective on education and what it really means. His mom taught him all those years and from the very beginning she could tell he had something special in him. He yearned to learn and enjoyed educating himself in different topics.

“He was interested in everything I put in front of him,” Christensen’s’ mother Sue said. “No matter the day or the subject, he always wanted to learn more.”

It wasn’t just his mom that led him through his life. His older brothers had a huge influence on the decisions he made and what subjects to study later on in his life. He was also influenced through his life within the LDS church. Having duties within the church gave him more opportunities to serve.

Mathematics was something that both of his brothers had studied in depth throughout their high school careers, so as Christensen entered Highland as a freshman, he already had his sights set on being a great competitor in the math field.

But not only is Christensen a great mathematician, he is also a great person. An easy-to-like kind of guy with a laid back personality and a good sense of humor, there’s not a lot more you can ask for. Growing up home-schooled could be seen as an obstacle once you get back to public school, but the transition was smooth. An outstanding personality and a caring heart will make you want to be the first one on the Christensen express.

“He is perfect,” Sue said. “He always has been and he always will be. He’s an outgoing guy if you get the chance to get to know him better.”

Christensen spends his time playing soccer, swimming, and hanging with his friends. He is very athletic and pick up any sport in front of him at the time. He also spends time avoiding spending time on his homework. Just when you thought about how much time he’s spending every night studying up, he really isn’t.

“I’m more of a test-taker than a frequent studier,” Christensen said. “It’s a good thing I’m decent at one of them.”

Although this isn’t a good representation for how much work he has put into his studies. Making his way up the math ladder through his AP classes, Christensen finds himself taking more college enrollment classes than actual high school credit classes. He’s worked his way up all the way to BC Calculus along with his AP stats class with Mrs. Welch.

“Mrs. Welch taught me what it means to learn,” Christensen said. “She helped my understand ways to keep yourself composed by organization and other tools that even helped me in some of my others classes as well.”

However, he hinted that Algebra was his strong suit. His preparation is key for the complex life full of numbers and equations that he yearns to live.

After serving an LDS mission, Christensen is planning on attending Brigham Young University and majoring in Statistics. He will then use his degree to become a statistician. Earning the Math Sterling Scholar will definitely help in his cause to be the next great mathematician.

From humble beginnings to a gracious conclusion to his high school career, Christensen found a passion in learning, which is very hard to find in today’s day and age. He found motivation within himself to push through any obstacles in his way which is a skill surely to be used as he progresses on to College. His influences from his brothers and Mom gave him someone to lean on through his journey that is not yet over.

“His best accomplishment in life is how nice and caring his is to everyone,” Sue said. “Somehow he stays humble through all the trophies and awards thrown at him, which is why I love him.”

This is what it really means to be a Sterling Scholar, being an all-around good person.