Students Must Pass Test to Graduate

Jenna Masic, Staff Writer

Utah students now have another hurdle they have to clear on the road to graduation. The civics test, this test will help a student understand their knowledge of U.S. history and government. All public school students who will be graduating after January 1, 2016 are required to take this test and pass it or they will not receive a diploma. In order to pass this test, a student must answer a minimum of 35 out of 50 questions, and has the ability to retake it as many times as desired.

“We must prepare Utah’s youth to be actively engaged in the political process, the American Civics Education Initiative puts emphasis on educating our high school students about democracy before they become eligible voters,” Sharlene Hawkes, Co-Chair, of the Utah Civics Education Initiative said, “The more educated they are about the importance of their role, the more likely they will become interested and involved.”

While many Utah officials are for this law, many Utah teachers aren’t. Highland’s Social Studies teachers will be giving this year’s graduating seniors the civics test. Jacque Conkling gave her second semester government classes this test but, wasn’t too happy about giving it.

“It’s a waste of time,” Conkling said, as she compared this test to preparing the students for this test is like taking a step back and a step out of teaching the common curriculum.

Conkling says that if the state wants to make it a law, then they should be taking time out of their days and going out of their way to come to the schools and teach students the test materials. She also complains on how bad she feels for just having to throw this material at her students leaving them not fully confident to ace the test. Jayden Palauni senior graduating this year, successfully passed the Civics test with a 96%.

“I agree with Mrs. Conkling when she says it’s a waste of time, I don’t think that it should be required to graduate, but they were very simple questions so in the end it doesn’t really matter, everybody passed,” Palauni said.

Could you pass this test?

1. Who is the Commander in Chief of the military?
    A)  The President
    B) The Vice President
    C) The Secretary of Defense
    D) The Attorney General

2. Under our Constitution, some powers belong to the federal government. What is one power of the federal government?
A) To issue driver’s license
B) To declare war
C) To provide protection (police)
D)To provide schooling and education

3.Name one war fought by the United States in the 1900s.
A)Civil War
B)Revolutionary War
C)War of 1812
D)World War I

4.What is one thing Benjamin Franklin is famous for?

A) U.S. diplomat
B)Inventor of airplane
C)Third president of the United States
D)Youngest member of the Constitutional Convention

If you answered A, B, D and A you’re pretty much in good shape for this test.