Palmer Aligns Dance and Academics

Julia Daines, Staff Writer

From good grades and hard classes, to teaching dance classes, choreographing and of course, dancing, Highland’s dance Sterling Scholar Ali Palmer does it all.

“She works harder than anyone else I know,” Palmer’s close friend Annie Connolly said. “She deserves it more than anyone because of her true genuine passion and dedication to everything she does, not only just dance.”

Palmer began dancing when she was just 4-years-old. Alongside dance, she grew up playing soccer. When she was in 5th grade, both dance and soccer were taken to the next level. She began competition soccer, which consumed her time most days a week. In addition to this, she began competing for her dance studio, Silhouette, which consumed the rest of her time during the week. She was so busy that it got to a point where she had to choose between the two, however she said the decision was very easy for her.

“I always loved dance more,” Palmer said. “The decision was easy for me because I had always enjoyed going to dance more from the beginning.”

Palmer enjoys all different types of dance. She began with tap and ballet, and later progressed to jazz, modern, lyrical, contemporary and hip-hop. She moved studios a few times when she was younger, until she moved to the Silhouette Dance Studio and loved it more than any of the others. It was there that she began competing and took her dancing career to the next level.

At the end of her 8th grade year, several girls her age tried out for the Highland Dance Company. Seven of them made it, including Palmer. When they started working on choosing dances choreographed by the girls for their spring concert, Palmer decided to come up with one to tryout. In most cases, dances made by freshman would almost never make it, but Palmer’s did, and she has choreographed multiple dances for every concert since.

“It’s so fun to watch her and the dances she comes up with every year,” Connolly said. “She dedicates so much time and you can tell she loves it and she won’t shy away from doing hard things.”

Dance affects all areas of Palmer’s life, not just performing. It has taught her very strongly of hard work in all things she does in addition to dance, and given her confidence in her everyday life.

“I think Ali deserves this award because of her drive and dedication in the field of dance,” Palmer’s mother Suzie Palmer said. “Dance permeates almost every aspect of her life. In school, outside of school and even at home she is always working to improve.”

Palmer has decided to take her dancing career in another direction as well and recently took a job at a local dance studio where she teaches dance to young girls ages 5 to 12. She loves doing this because she gets to not only teach the girls the aspects of dance, but she gets to choreograph dances for them as well and teach them what she loves to do. Between teaching classes, dance company and dancing on her own her own, she has never gotten tired of dance.

“This has added a whole new dimension to her dance experience,” Suzie said. “She is constantly thinking about music she can use, new combinations to try out, or different styles to use in her dances she teaches.”

Suzie has seen dance affect Palmer in all areas of her life. She has seen that her hard work pays off, she has made meaningful relationships with the girls around her, and if you find something you truly love you can do it well.

“Dance has affected Ali’s life in so many ways, but the thing that stands out to me the most is the life lessons it has taught her,” Suzie said.