A Theatre Review: Circle Mirror Transformation

Photo courtesy of Michael Payne

SPA Students Acting in Circle Mirror Transformation

Graci Altman, Staff Writer

Salt Lake School for the Performing Arts (SPA) opened their theater production of Annie Baker’s Pulitzer Prize nominated, Circle Mirror Transformation in their new lab theater several weeks ago. Circle Mirror Transformation is a must-see for many reasons. First of all, it’s a very unique production. Circle Mirror Transformation consists of only a five person cast, and the entirety of the production takes place in a community center, in an Adult Creative Drama class. SPA did a remarkable job on the entirety of the show, but especially their set. The attention to detail was stunning; it felt as if you were actually in a community center. From the Community Interest board, to light switches and air vents, SPA’s attention to detail takes the cake.

Throughout the course of the show, these character’s lives are told through theater games. It’s a very intimate production because the characters are so vulnerable and open with themselves. You see them transform in the six weeks they are in this class, which is taught by Marty.

Marty is played by Hannah Romney, who is starring in her first non-musical production. Marty is a “crunchy granola”, unconventional person who teaches this Creative Theater class for adults.

“I really relate to Marty, and the fact that she is just so jazzed about life. She loves to teach and to be someone that other people can look up to, and that’s something I strive to be,” said Romney.

As said before, the play is very intimate. When you are watching, it feels as if you are actually there, and witnessing this happen. However, this wouldn’t be a good production to bring a baby or some crunchy chips to, because it’s a very quiet play. There is a lot of silence in the play, and the beauty is in the silence.

“It wasn’t just a play we chose to entertain an audience. But it was also a play that allowed us to focus on, what we call, moment work; where you are working with an actor and they’re having a moment with another actor. They don’t say anything about it, but instead the silence tells you what they are thinking. There’s a lot of thinking about what happens in between the silences,” said SPA’s Theater Department Chair, Michael Payne.

The chemistry between the actors was incredible. The way they interacted and connected with each other made for an even better show. With such a small cast, you have to absolutely trust and work with each cast member, and they certainly did.

Circle Mirror Transformation sold out every night, so hopefully you got to see it. Even though it seems like such a simple play, there is so much more going on than meets the eye. You witness the change in the character’s lives in just those short 6 weeks of the class, and how their lives weave together. Anybody who walked into the theater could’ve found a way to relate to at least one of the characters, and that’s what made this production so good.

It was real. The actors made it feel so real; that these characters were just like us. In fact, they were us.

“The emotion and the story is told through eye contact, and silences; which is beautiful. It’s a beautiful show,” said Romney.