Science Environmental Adventure Club

(more commonly known as SEAC)

Members of SEAC often go on hikes with each other.

Ardyn Ford

Gretchen McConkie, Web Editor

Highland High school is home to many clubs. Jousting club, kite club, the Jedi Junkies club, bowling club, German club, and Super Smash Bros club, just to name a few. While it hosts a plethora of options, there’s a catch: most of them aren’t actually a “club”. They meet once to take a picture that will be used in the yearbook and go on their marry way. But there is one club at Highland that is successful in every sense of the word. Do they meet regularly? Are the meetings productive? Does it require dedication? Check. Check. And check again. The SEAC club here at Highland not only meets all expectations to be seen as “the real deal” in this school of Potemkin clubs, but surpasses them as well.

SEAC stands for Science Environmental Adventure Club. Headed up by Highland chemistry and outdoor enthusiast Monica French, members typically meet on a basis of once every two weeks or so. The objective of the club is to have hands on experiences with science outside of the classroom and out in nature. There are about twelve students that are active and consistently involved in SEAC, mainly because of the fact that this club is made possible and made successful because every member of the club takes initiative. The club places a lot of the responsibility on students and its members not only help plan activities but also create contacts that are willing to help its members better understand environmental issues. In the past SEAC has participated in competitions such as Envirathon and Science Olympiad though this year they are not participating because the majority of the members have such vigorous IB and AP class schedules that it becomes difficult to find the time. Even though Mrs. French is in charge of the club, the members taking so much responsibility and becoming highly involved is why the club is so successful.

“The burdens of doing things and participating in activities are on their shoulders so they have to be engaged, they have to be willing to participate in that way and communicate. So it really takes a person willing to commit’” Ms. French the leader of SEAC said.

But for all of the hard work that the students seem to put in this club, they all say that it has been worth it.

“I enjoy the club because I really like going on the road trips with Ms. French and being able to understand what is around us. I also just think that environmental science is interesting and I like that I can continue in apply what I learned in APES,” Emily Dibella, a junior and active member of SEAC said.

Other members share the same charisma when asked about SEAC.

“In the words of Ardyn Ford, it has taught me that nature is the greatest artist,” Cece Foster a junior and active member of the club said.

SEAC is one of the very few clubs of Highland that actively engages its members and helps them to really see, like the members said above, the beauty of nature, and how it involves science.