Student Body Officers for Upcoming 2017-2018 School Year Announced

Gretchen McConkie, Associate Editor

It’s that time of year again. Miscellaneous posters with witty slogans and bizarre jargon ornament the halls of Highland. With bright colors and hilarious photos they vie for the student body’s attention—and their vote.

Student Body Officer Elections concluded yesterday leaving the school with eight new students prepared to take on the tremendous responsibility that accompanies the sweater. Valeti Fonua was announced president with Annie Miner as Vice and Soko Brown as Secretary. The three smart and spirited girls have lofty goals that they hope to see accomplished in the 2017-2018 school year. The all-girl presidency is thrilled by the potential for change that Highland has and cannot wait to see what improvements they are capable of for next year—especially in regards to school spirit and having a close-knit highland community.

“We have school spirit but I want to bring back the power behind it. I want to bring back pep rallies and a lot more activities that we didn’t do this year. I want to reach out to everyone and not exclude any of the student body,” Fonua said.

Where the future have SBO’s have fresh goals and ideas for how to tackle many of the school’s issues, some of the current SBO’s hope that continuing some of the installments made in the 2016-2017 will be on the agenda.

“We had some new things this year like we brought back Birthday Project and Word of the Week. While those ideas were not implemented greatly they do have a good effect on the Student Body. I would like to see them not only continue but to build off of those ideas and try to improve them,” Brandt Graham current SBO Secretary said.

The newly elected SBO’s have the difficult juggling act ahead of them as they strive to continue and better ideas that are in place as well as strive to create some of their own solutions.

“I think each individual group seems to find their own thing to champion. I think it is important as leaders that they get to choose what they want to improve and work on rather than me telling them what to do. I am excited to see what they choose as their platform fore next year,” Wendy Curtis the SBO Adviser said.

While the excitement for gaining their peer’s approval is still fresh the upcoming SBO’s know that the title was not what they ran for.

“SBO’s in general just need to remember that we don’t rule the school, we are actually here to serve the school,” Fonua said.