The “S” Stands for Stressed

Student Body Officers Explain the Challenges and Stresses of Spirit Week.

Back to Article
Back to Article

The “S” Stands for Stressed

Junior class secretary Emily Bertola attempts to keep her class at bay during the spirit bowl last week.

Maggie Lea

Maggie Lea

Maggie Lea

Kyle Adams, Associate Print Editor

The Spirit Bowl assembly at the end of Highland’s spirit week is the largest and most intricately crafted school-wide event that the school organises. The ceremony consists of a battle-of-the-classes-type competition which begins on monday with poster judging. As the week progresses, classes can earn points at lunchtime competitions such as dodgeball and musical chairs to contribute to their overall score.

Needless to say, these festivities require a lot of planning. Teachers and administrators are busy doing their own jobs so the bulk of the administrative planning process is left to the next most powerful body in the school: student government.

“I did not expect this much stress, no,” freshman class president Andrew Olsen said. “I expected it would take up a lot of time, but I didn’t expect as much as this.”

Student body and class officers alike spend the months leading up to spirit week prepping for hours a day. Each class uses overhead projectors to create massive murals that decorate the halls. This process takes a lot of manpower, which is organized mostly by the class officers. Between this and organising class dances, lip syncs, and mascots, the amount of prep work is massive.

“I think the night before Spirit Bowl, when you’re setting up and your realise that the Spirit Bowl is actually happening and that you’re actually going to have to do this, and you realise that you aren’t nearly as ready as you think you are…” SBO assembly chair Izzy Fielder said, “that’s when it’s stressful.”

Once the assembly starts, however, the stress only grows. Class officers and SBOs alike are left to hold back the violently rowdy classes, all while trying to make the event run smoothly.

“We yell a lot.” SBO spirit chair, Seth Ahlers said.

Class officers also scan their crowds for participants, calling them down from the stands to represent their team. During popular events such as the tug of war or bubble sumo wrestling, crowds rush to the front of the pack, begging to be picked.

“I try to get in front of them so they stop,” senior class president Zach Schroeder said. “I’ve got to scoot them back so they don’t go further out than the black line.”

The whole experience is chaos.

But just like throwing paint at a canvas, it is a beautiful and meaningful chaos that brings color into the world. Together the classes laugh and dance and sing. Spirit week is an event that truly brings the student body closer together.

At the end of the assembly it is tradition to have each class sit together on their stands: a family picture. The SBOs and class officers can finally relax. Their last job is to clean it all up.

Former freshman class secretary Nic Duersch perfectly explains the joy of having the experience of the student government behind: “It’s great. I’m not stressed about anything anymore.”