Recent Car Thefts Have Left People Worried

Grace Ojewia, Co-News Editor

A recent number of thefts in Highland’s parking lots have left people on high alert. In the last three weeks, one per week, there has been a Honda Civic that has been broken into and stolen. These thefts have taken place in the morning around the 1st to 3rd periods of the day. It is likely that those who are stealing the cars have been parking in cars and paying close attention to what potential vehicles they can take advantages of. It is believed that all three incidents are related, but nothing has been confirmed.

“I believe are universal keys that can open any Honda Civic vehicle,” administrator Coach Moe said. “I don’t how they are getting in, but it seems like they have a key that allows them to open any Honda Civic.”

The affected models of the car are estimated to be around 2011 and older that this universal key could apply to.  As this is an ongoing investigation, certain details cannot be released. For example, those specifically that have been affected cannot be disclosed.

The cars that have been broken into, stolen, raided of all desired items, and then ditched at various locations like Walmart. No new cars have been stolen since the last incident, but this has put people on high alert. So far, two out of the three cars have been returned.

In response to these thefts, the school police officers and administrators have been monitoring the parking lot during school and at certain times before and after. They recommend that everyone be more careful with the care of their cars.

“My advice to students would be to more aware,” Coach Moe said. “Even if you are just going out to your car to grab your backpack or a book, just be aware of your surroundings, aware of the other vehicles around you.”

The Highland administration is available to help anyone who believes they or someone they know might be a victim of a theft. The overwhelming message from the administration is that, like it is for a lot of other situations, if you see something, say something.