Some Policies See Changes While Others Stay The Same

Grace Ojewia, News Editor

The beginning of the year often marks a time of changes. Yet, one policy that will not be seeing a change is the new tardy slip system. So now, unlike times in the past, if students are late they will just go straight to class. Seeing how last year went, Principal Chris Jenson believes there are more issues with using tardy slips than without having them.

“I think that tardy slips almost create more of a tardy problem” Principal Jenson said. “Instead of just hustling to class, a lot of students will just use that as an excuse to spend more time in the halls and take a longer time to get to class.”

He acknowledges that there is still a tardy problem and plans to address those, including an upcoming meeting with the faculty. There will likely be more faculty in the halls to help get students to class and more accountability on teachers to report tardies.

In the past there have been after school classes for tardy and truancy make ups. Last year during first quarter there was a tardy school that was run by assistant principal Mary Lane Grisley. There is a possibility that the class could be done again to help students with making up seat time. A class make up class that would be before school is also being looked into as Jenson feels that it would benefit a lot of students who take the bus after school.

“I always thought it was unfair for somebody who needs to make up a tardy, or something [like it],” Jenson said. “You do the class and if you take the bus, it doesn’t get here until four so you have to wait until then.”

Classes in the morning are an option, and other possible times of the day are being looked into. This is mostly so that disadvantaged students are not being over penalized.

A new rule in the parking lot no longer allows cars to be booted (towed), if any rules are violated. Parking pass privileges, however can be revoked if students are not responsible and follow the rules. Warnings will first be given a few times before the pass is taken. The parking lot is designed to work considerably well if an administrator is at the east entrance and the flow goes in the right direction. When people do not follow the standard way and go against the flow or exit from an entrance it jams things up a lot.

Speed bumps have been considered as a possible solution to help, however they would interfere with snow plows in the winter. While the administration is looking for new ways to make the parking lot safer, they hope this new policy will allow consequences to be given while also not overdoing it.

With regards to the dress code, there are not any changes from that of last year. However, there will be more enforcement of the dress code and efforts to make sure students keep to it. Dress code policies tends to change over the years, but in particular, it over went a pretty big change last year.

“Our dress code is actually pretty liberal,” Principal Chris Jenson said. “But I think we can do a better job of enforcing it.”

The changes to the code established a system of discreetness where in the past students could be sent down to the office for a dress code review. Another thing that changed is making students where clothes that were reserved for dress code reviews. So, for example, instead of giving students a sweater to wear, they now have an option of wearing something that they brought.

Three new classes are being added to that will replace the old computer technology class. Middle schools in the district are now offering basically what was computer technology here. So, to challenge students and prepare them to graduate these new digital media literacy classes will be a higher level, but still taught by the same teachers.

The Ram Market that was started last year will be continued. Students can choose a selection of different canned foods and other goods all free of charge. Started by the collaboration of student government, the PTA, and the administration, the school partnered with Fresh Market who is a supplier of the food, especially the fresh fruits and vegetables. Around second semester last year, the PTA will the help of the administration and backing of the district, brought free goods out on tables during both lunches for anyone to take.

When they saw that people were taking the food in large numbers, the need for a more practical system grew. That is where the idea for the Ram Market started and the school had encourage the community and anyone who could to donate. Now it has grown to include a partnership with the Utah Food Bank.

At the beginning of the year, Principal Jenson signed an agreement with the food bank to bring in a bigger selection of food and other items such as diapers. The administration hopes that in the future the school might have more food available more often. As of now, food will be available every Thursday (or Friday).

As the school year starts off, these changes and new policies come with the hope that they will make Highland a better place to learn.