Moped Riding

Josh Richards rides his moped through Highland’s parking lot.

Owen Knight, Staff Writer

Most high school teens want their own car, they want to be able to fly at 80 miles per hour down the highway blasting music the entire time. But for some people that’s not even an option. But they have an alternative in riding mopeds.

For students like sophomore Patrick Brennan that is the only option for a ride. Because mopeds are not considered motor vehicles, they do not require a license. They are not powerful enough to be considered scooters, so they are treated the same was as bikes.

For Brennan, this means he doesn’t always have to beg rides to school.

“I don’t have a license yet so it’s an easy way to get around without being able to drive,” Brennan said.

To most, driving a moped is very convenient. They are very inexpensive compared to a car ranging from about $600-$3000. If the moped is under 100cc ,teens are legally allowed to drive it if they own a learner’s permit.

There are a few problems with owning a moped. Firstly, mopeds are very dangerous and many fatalities occur every year involving mopeds. They are very flimsy vehicles with almost zero safety restrictions. No seat belt, no airbags, but it doesn’t stop teens from zooming through the neighborhoods.

Brennan had a scare on his moped recently while he was just driving around. He said he was just driving down the road when a dog ran out in the middle and he almost hit it. Trying to turn away, he slid scraping up his side and arms. Luckily he was okay without any head injuries but it could have been a lot worse. But Brennan was unfazed and was determined to ride again.

“Fear is a state of mind,” Brennan said.

Hopefully he will be back to flying down the streets and watch out for those dogs.

Students and teens all over are starting to get on the moped bandwagon. Highland junior Jaxsen Miner was one of the original moped riders. He has rode his moped since middle school for the convenience.

“It’s a fun way to get around and I drove it before I had my license so it got me around in the summer,” Miner said.

Mopeds are a growing trend at Highland and their value seems to surpass the price.