Softball Welcomes A New Head Coach

Audrey Hemingway, Staff Writer

From coaching children sports when he was in college, to teaching high school students as an adult, Mr. Campos has enjoyed teaching throughout his career. And his love may continue to grow as he takes on the position of the new head Highland High softball coach this spring season.

Campos has played baseball and recreational league softball with people from his work in the past, so his prior knowledge on the sport will support his coaching. This will be his second official year coaching softball, having been an assistant coach for Highland last year.

He won’t be changing a lot of things from the former head coach Jenny Hardy, but instead, build on main ideas from last year. He is going to try to get more freshman involved to help build up the program for “longer success”.

“Last year we had a lot of new players that had never played before” Campos said.

This year, the girls will keep developing ways that will improve their skill and technique.  A lot of girls will be on their second year of playing, while Campos will be on his second year of coaching.

“We’ve been working really hard on specific techniques for fielding, throwing, and catching to make us faster and more accurate” softball player Mimi Pendergas said.

He thinks this season will be exciting, but when it actually comes it will be a lot better. Even though the job will be difficult and full of demand at times, it will all be worth it in the end.

“I am a little excited and a little hesitant, just because now it’s up to me” Campos said.

He knows a fair amount of the girls and is thrilled to work with them. The girls feel the same way.

“He’s super cool and fun to work with, so I think we are all looking forward to the season” Pendergas said.

This season will be new for everyone, but new isn’t bad. They will keep growing as players and coaches and will not regret it.