Born To Run

Annie Murdock’s short two years of running for Highland has earned her a full ride scholarship at the University of Utah.

Photo Courtesy of Annie Murdock

Annie Murdock running at a home meet.

Peach Schilling, Associate Editor

Senior Annie Murdock accomplished what most athletes spend their whole lives on; it only took her two years.

Murdock has always been involved with sports. She joined her first soccer team at the age of four and her first swimming team at the age of six, but she never thought she would become a collegiate runner. 

“Annie asked me if she could run track her freshman year,” Murdock’s mom Adrianne said. “But I was so tired of driving her back and forth from practices and I said no.”

Murdock waited a whole year and joined the team in the spring of her sophomore year. Immediately, her abilities were noticed by her coaches and teammates. During her two years of running competitively in high school, Murdock was able to set amazing personal record times and be a part of the girls 400 meter relay team that currently holds Highland’s record.

Due to COVID-19, she only got the opportunity to run in one meet during her senior year. Although she was disappointed, her outlook remained strong. 

“When I found out the season was canceled, I was with Coach Rowles and Nick Pembroke. We were devastated and it was a hard thing to understand.” Murdock said. “I have been trying to stay as positive as possible. I have seen this as an opportunity to get into shape and continue to do something that I enjoy.”

During the pandemic, Murdock has worked out every single day and continues to train in preparation to run at the University of Utah next year. She committed in November of 2019 and still holds her scholarship although she did not get to participate in meets this spring. 

On top of all of her athletics, Murdock is very successful academically. She had the opportunity this year to take a course through Granite school district to become a registered pharmacy technician. She completed her certification and currently works in a grocery store pharmacy.

COVID-19 has caused many disappointments and has been a hardship in many athletes’ lives. Murdock is confident that hard work will outweigh the losses and encourages others to view all of their opportunities as chances to better themselves.

“When you walk onto the field, the starting block, the mat, just smile,” Murdock said. “You just have to keep building yourself up because that’s how you get better.”

Murdock is excited to see what her future holds at the University of Utah and plans to study to become a pharmacist.

“Her future is so bright,” Adrianne said through tears. “She has so many opportunities ahead of her.”