Flags Showing Acceptance Shouldn’t Be Targeted

Rowan MacIntyre, Online Editor

The Davis School District made headlines recently with a ban on any political signage or messaging in classrooms. It makes sense at face value. Promoting political views to students is not something schools should be doing. Influencing minors politically crosses a line. However, the idea of someone pushing political ideals on others should not be used as a scapegoat for continued marginalization of students. The true target of this ban seems to be LGBTQIA+ pride and Black Lives Matter flags or posters.

Due to this ban, anything thought to be representing pride or BLM, from posters to stickers to pins, is not allowed to be displayed in any Davis District building.
LGBTQIA+ and Black Lives Matter flags in the classroom, along with posters, stickers, pins, you name it, has become another controversy among students, teachers, administrators, and parents. It really shouldn’t be. Hanging flags and displaying symbols like those for pride and BLM in classrooms and around schools is about showing acceptance for friends and classmates who have been marginalized in the past and showing that their school is a safe place for them. It’s not political.

It should be noted that when it comes to the Black Lives Matter flag, it can be difficult to know where it’s being used politically or not. According to “The Salt Lake Tribune,” Black Lives Matter has stated that they are not a political organization, though they have voiced their support for political issues, such as defunding the police, in the past. But knowing if a BLM flag in school is political or not comes down to intention. And for teachers at Highland, the intention is not political. It’s just about showing acceptance and understanding.

Jennifer Jacobson, a Highland social studies teacher and advisor for the Highland Pride Club, demonstrates exactly that. She says that for her, it’s important to show being an ally with representative symbols, whether that’s a flag on the door, a poster in her classroom, or wearing a pin.

For Jacobson, having these symbols up is also about getting students thinking.

“One of the big goals of social studies, or school in general, is to teach kids critical thinking skills,” Jacobson said. “It’s important for them to understand two sides to issues, to understand that people think differently than they do, and to get a different perspective so they can make decisions about their own belief system.”

Any teacher’s goal is to get students to think critically about the world around them. Not to push their political views on their students. Hanging up symbols supporting a traditionally marginalized group of people is not pushing a political view. It’s a sign of acceptance and, most importantly, safety.

“I’ve had parents, I’ve had students tell me that when they walk by a classroom, and they see a symbol of someone saying, ‘I’m an ally’, it makes them feel safe,” Jacobson said.

Students need to feel safe. Utah has one of the highest rates of teen suicide in the country. Letting students know that their classrooms are a safe space and that their teachers support them is especially important. Banning any mention of pride or Black Lives Matter will only make students feel like they aren’t welcome or safe, which is an unacceptable message for an entire school district to send.

The purpose of schools is to educate students. Not just in math, science, history, and other basic subjects, but to also teach students how to treat others around them. Right now, Davis schools are teaching students that avoiding potential controversy is more important than showing their own students that they are accepted.