Highland Rambler

The student news site of Highland High School in Salt Lake City, Utah

Highland Rambler

Highland Rambler

Highland Welcomes New Assistant Principal Ben Jones

Ben+Jones+stands+against+the+bookshelf+in+his+office.+
Red Gunn
Ben Jones stands against the bookshelf in his office.

On December 4th, Highland gained a new member of the Ram Fam, Ben Jones. As one of Highland’s three assistant principals, Jones is here to help out students and teachers and make highland a better, more positive place.

“I love it so far, everyone’s been very accepting and inviting and I really like the atmosphere of the school,” Jones said. “Today is almost exactly one month, one month and one day.”

Jones works mainly with the ninth and tenth grade students of Highland and does a lot with the people in freshman success as well as helping and talking to students.

“I really try to make sure students know our expectations and our rules and our policies here at Highland,” Jones said. “And to make sure they know what we are wanting and expecting them to do as students so they can be most successful.”

This includes a lot of getting to know students and supporting them. But Jones isn’t just here to help the students, he works a lot with the teachers as well.

Jones works with the teachers in the social studies, science, and PE and health departments. He goes to different classrooms to observe the teachers and collaborate with them. His job is to go and support them and help them become the best teachers they can be.

Before coming to Highland, Jones worked at some of the other Salt Lake City School District schools including East, West, and Horizonte. But living in the Highland boundary and having his two kids go here had Jones interested in working at Highland.

“I’ve kind of always wanted to work here, I’ve always heard good things about highland,” Jones said. “I’ve heard really good things about Principal Chatterton, and I really enjoy the administrative team here.”

Jones has had a great first month—and one day—working at Highland and getting to know the students and the faculty.

“I’m just grateful to be here and I look forward to getting to know more of the students,” Jones said. “And really getting involved in Highland High and all the things we have to offer.”