Crazy, Stupid, Cynical…Love

Edee Burton, Staff Writer

Valentine’s Day: the day of love. A day meant to celebrate the one emotion drive that all humans find to be “worth living for”. If this emotion is really worth all its hype, why is it that the day dedicated to celebrating love has become one of cynicism and self-pity? Why has Valentine’s Day seemingly become for couples only? Has our generation lost sight of what Valentine’s Day is truly about?

Valentine’s Day is second only to Christmas in a recent national survey as “The most depressing holiday”.  The number one reason respondents chose this is because most felt lonely on a day when one is supposed to feel loved. Valentine’s Day is as much a reminder of what people don’t have in their lives as it is a celebration of what they do.  It wasn’t always this black and white.

For the decades prior to the turn of the century Valentine’s Day, though clearly for those in a relationship was just as much for those who had people around them to love.  The holiday was spent giving tokens of that love and appreciation to friends, family, parents, children and even coworkers.  Over time and through cleverly targeted marketing and advertising, that notion has shifted to a focus on those who are in a romantic relationship.  Valentine’s Day is ridiculed by many because it is contrived at its core, but it is now seen as a representation of the commercialism and moral decay of all things wholesome.  Though some traditions continue to push through such as the ritualistic giving of cards and candy hearts to classmates more often the traditions that are honored is of giving jewelry and expensive gifts to a significant other.  In the days and weeks leading up to Valentine’s Day we are bombarded with reminders of what our lovers expect us to give.  Visit any mall across America on February 13 and you will find hundreds of desperate men grasping at anything to demonstrate their love through trite and trashy gifts that rarely have any meaning.

“I have always thought Valentine’s Day was a glorified holiday with too much pressure to be romantic and buy meaningless things, I think it should be a day where you can just hang out and enjoy anyone’s company,” senior Dorothy Smith said.

No wonder the day is now mocked as much as celebrated.  There is nothing magical, nothing romantic, and nothing meaningful.  Gifts are exchanged by drones conditioned to ritualistic behaviors driven by an arbitrary date.  Many, if asked about their opinions about Valentine’s Day talk about its being a required and forced celebration and the lack of anything spontaneous or organic.

Most holidays have become stripped of meaning and commercialized but Valentine’s Day is in a class all by itself.  Discussing it with cynicism seems to be the only way we can get through it.

But is there another way to celebrate this “day of love”? Is it possible we could get over the cynicism of this holiday and revive its old sincerity?

Taking our rightful place as the most cynical generation of the once revered holiday, if a change were to be made, we would be the most influential.

What if instead of solely encouraging love between couples we perpetuated love and appreciation from many different kinds and places. Friends, families, fellow students and even teachers could be among those on our list to receive some appreciation or gratitude on this hated day.

“Valentine’s Day seems daunting if you don’t have a “special someone” but I don’t think it should be at all! I think it is a good excuse to celebrate ALL the people you love. Buy yourself flowers, eat chocolate, and celebrate yourself if you want to. Valentine’s should be a happy day full of love for anyone.” senior Clara Millet said.

Single friends could team up and make the night into a guy or galentines day, full of activities and appreciation for those closest to their hearts.

As for couples, Valentine’s Day should serve as an extra day of appreciation, or a day to express your love for one and other, though it should not stand alone. Couples should not necessarily need a day to remind one and other how they feel or that they appreciate each other, though it is fun and tradition, it should not be the only time partners feel appreciated.

On February 15 there is an almost audible sigh of relief by everyone who is either forced to exchange gifts or suffer through the day reminded of their being alone. Although, if our generation could make an effort to change the overall idea of this holiday, we could be in for a more sincere, loving day.