Taste Of Defeat Leaves Rams Hungry For Victory

Annie Connolly

Captain Emma Thornton battles for the ball against East

Annie Connolly, News Editor

Rivalries keep competition alive. They bring out the best and the worst in teams. When it comes to rivalries, the victories are sweeter and the losses are beyond painful.

Last night, the girl’s soccer team learned the hard way just how hard such losses can be.

As the sun set on the turf field at East High, the Rams were still fighting with all they had. With no goals on either side until well into the second half, the majority of the game was a battle of will. Both teams were physical and aggressive, desperately trying to best their opponent.

The game changed when East made a crucial breakthrough by scoring the first goal of the game, turning the tables on the Rams. They soon scored again, and with this massive shift in momentum, the game looked bleak for the Rams.

With the final score 3-0 for East, the Rams left the field with their heads hanging. However, they came to realize that they had learned something of significant importance. This is a key point in the season, where they must take the bull by the horns and turn their season around. It is not too late for HHWS’ playoff dreams, but they must focus everything they have towards that goal, and preform above expectations in the crucial region games to come.

“Whenever we lose games like tonight’s, it definitely puts our goals into perspective. As a team, we loathe that feeling of losing to East and we were reminded of that tonight,” senior Emma Ker said. “We now realize that we have to fight harder, and the ability to focus at this point in the season is critical.”

Ker and her teammates can find motivation in this loss. Their season has been full of high and low points, with outstanding victories and times of bitter defeat. Through it all they have learned a lot, and can use what they have learned to move forward with the season.

“Because of this game the coaches have a clear vision on what we need to work on as a team. That will definitely help us finish our season strong and help us on our way to playoffs,” Sophomore player Gracie Mae Smith said.

The Rams still have a shot of achieving what they set out for, Playoffs. But along the way they will face East again, this time of their own home turf. It can only be expected that it will be another physical battle between the two teams. However, if all goes as Ker, Smith, and every one of their teammates plan, they will be ready for payback.