Survive & Conquer

Zach Schreiter Will Not Let His Trials Stop Him From Living on His Terms

Zach Schreiter in his wrestling match against Box Elder

Meira Clifford

Annie Connolly, Senior Editor

They say it’s not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog. Anyone who has met Zach Schreiter knows the accuracy of this saying. Schreiter faces challenges every day, that the majority of people will never have to deal with. However, the ever present grin on his face would give strangers no clue.

Dwarfism, a medical condition present in most adults under 4-foot-10, is a hardship that in Schreiter’s early childhood brought about relentless teasing and harassment. However, it was not until the summer before he entered high school that his strength and his fight would truly be tested.

Schreiter, a black belt, was working with his karate master on an afternoon like any other, when they noticed a strange formation on his neck. Concerned, his family took him to a doctor, who sent them quickly to the hospital for testing on his lymph nodes. For Terri Schreiter, it was a horror story come to life. The worst of her fears was confirmed as the doctors returned with the haunting diagnosis—Hodgkin’s Lymphoma.

Cancer.

The word itself is a nightmare. The Schreiters’ world was turned inside out. Surgical removal of the cancerous tissue was dangerous and deemed too high of a risk. Therefore, rounds of chemotherapy treatment began.

“After the first day of each chemo cycle [about eight hours of being given chemo, pain medication, and fluid] he would be so tired and wiped out that even getting him the car to go home was an adventure, he had no strength and we would need to use a wheel chair… Even though the next two days of chemo were lighter, the effect was no less tiring,” Terri said.

Schreiter’s treatment began in August, but as soon as school started, he was able to retain a full school schedule, only missing schools on chemo days. Many classmates were unaware of Zach’s diagnosis throughout his whole treatment due to his constant smile, good nature, and work ethic. He didn’t miss a single day of school that wasn’t a chemo day. The fight against cancer takes a massive toll on the body, but Schreiter refused to let it affect his mental and emotional health. He has never bothered with self-pity. He is confident and has a good attitude about life.

“Not once did he say, ‘Why me?’” Terri said. “Zach took it very well almost like he had prepared for the worst so he was ready to move forward.”

After four months of hospitalization, assortments of drugs, and battling for his health, Schreiter finished his last round of chemo on his mother’s birthday. His body still weak from significant weight loss and the daily illness of his last round, Schreiter was expected to relax and make a peaceful recovery. However, the first thing on his mind was the last thing expected—sports.

Schreiter has been involved in sports his whole life, he has practiced karate for over five years, and has always had an interest in football. However, wrestling has become the sport of influence in Schreiter’s life.

“Wresting taught me about family… It showed me that there are other people outside of my own family who will take me in and care about me,” Schreiter said. “When I started I expected some teasing, but no one has ever said one thing about my size.”

Not only has the wrestling program made an impact on Schreiter, but Schreiter has made an impact on the wrestling team itself. The head wrestling coach, Ted Sierer, refers to him as the “Heart and soul of the team”. At every wrestling meet, he can be heard cheering harder than anyone else, jumping up and down for his teammates, and putting it all out on the mats during his own matches. What Schreiter may lack in stature, he makes up for 100 times over in heart, fight, and enthusiasm.

When learning wrestling moves and techniques, the coaching staff helps Schreiter learn to adapt moves to his advantage. The average opponent for Schreiter exceeds his 4-foot-3 height by at least a foot. This has its pros and cons. One thing that helps him against his opponents, is that while everyone in his 113 lb. class weighs the same, they aren’t used to wresting someone so much shorter than them. It is hard for them to reach his legs, because they are much lower to the ground than the average wrestler. However, once they can get a hold of them, the pure leverage of his opponents make every match an uphill battle for Schreiter.

He knows the disadvantage. He doesn’t care.

Schreiter has a love for the sport and a personal determination to push himself. This iron will led to unexpected. Last season, in the rivalry meet against East High, Schreiter pinned his opponent—winning his first match.

“I have never seen a bench explode like that,” Sierer said. “We love Zach, our whole team is in his corner.”

Not only does he have the work ethic and grit every athlete aspires for, but he is charismatic, and simply a joy to be around. The combination of a life-time medical condition, and being diagnosed with cancer, is more than enough to harden the hearts of most people. However, his spirit is resilient and unfailing. For Schreiter, November 2015 marked one year of being cancer free.

“He is happy and energetic and always pumping up the team… He’s loud and cheers everyone else on,” wrestling captain Lilo Clark said. “He’s never one to just sit on the bench and watch quietly.

“It feels so great knowing that I can do what I want with my body. I’m grateful for my health, and I see the world with a totally different view,” Schreiter said.

As a young teenager, Schreiter has developed an inspiring determination to make his life something he is proud of. His confidence and maturity make him an incredible example, student, and friend. Whatever else the world can throw at him, Schreiter has the fight to not only cope with it, but conquer it.