Parking Lot Mania

Sydney Stam

Highland’s main exit after school

Julia Daines, Staff Writer

When it takes one person at least 10 minutes to get out of a parking lot, there is obviously a large systematic problem. The main northern parking lot of Highland High School has recently become more of a chaotic mess than usual, full of stop-and-go traffic, accidents, hit-and-runs and countless fights.

The way the parking lot is designed should in fact be simple and run smoothly—a shared entrance and exit coming in from 21st south, and one main entrance and exit in the front north side of the school. However, having faculty, senior parking, and the majority of other drivers all crowded in an area that doesn’t even have enough spots for all the drivers, with everyone trying to get in and out it can tend to get very congested.

What seems to be one of the main issues is that many people do not realize the people coming in through the main entrance (going east to west) have the right of way. People are trying to come in and out of parking spots, and drive right across the path of the entering drivers, cutting them off without looking or even realizing. They don’t seem to acknowledge the unwritten code of civility to let others in and try to accommodate everyone in the traffic.

“It is mostly annoying how people don’t even know who has the right of way,” Sophomore Annie Miner said. “This causes so many issues and crowds that could easily be avoided if there was an easier route for people coming in and out that did not interfere with the students trying to find a parking spot.”

The congestion from the confusing system seems to be the cause of many accidents, hit and runs, and fights within the school parking lot. Junior Sam Budge was one of many students who encountered a collision when trying to exit the lot. Both him and the other driver were not sure who should had the right of way, and ended up pulling out right into each other.

“I wish the system was more clear so people aren’t driving in every direction,” Budge said. “We could prevent stuff like this if it flowed better and was less crowded.”

Leaving school at the end of the day is when the worst traffic occurs. Since there is only one exit for the north side parking lots, a huge gathering of multiple cars comes about clustered in front of the exit. There are people coming from the 3 rows of parking spots as well as people circling around from picking up students in front of the school. The main north exit is surrounded by traffic flowing east and west on a gateway road, two crosswalks, traffic coming down from Parleys Canyon Blvd, people trying to turn left, right, and trying to go straight, therefore causing a ton of commotion in just this one specific area. The risks at this time after school are extremely high considering how many cars, buses and pedestrians there are everywhere.

“Right after school gets out is the worst part of the day because it takes forever to get out,” Miner said. “It is hectic everywhere and it seems like everyone is trying to shove their way through and it causes tons of fights and it just seems super dangerous.”

So how can this problem be prevented and fixed overall?

Budge, Miner and many other students believe that adding in an additional entrance and exit to the front of the school could relieve these problems. However, the Highland parking lot is surrounded by 3 different feeders—there is 21st south, S 1700 E (a gateway road going over the freeway), and Parleys Canyon Blvd. Since each of these roads are gateway roads and already get backed up too often due to the traffic of school starting and ending, it would be too difficult for the school to add in another entrance or exit. The parking lot is not formatted in a way where they could find the space to do so.

However don’t lose hope! Assistant Principal Mary Lane Grisley clarified that the faculty is planning on putting new signage throughout the parking lot to help with the flow of traffic. It will show that people cannot leave through the entrance, stop signs before the sidewalk for the sake of pedestrians, and stop signs when pulling out of rows of parking spaces, to assist with cars that have the right of way.

“I really think this will help with the flow of traffic,” Grisley said. “For the most part it’s just kids being kids and not following the rules. We know how dangerous it can be, so this should assist with that.”