Living Outside the Box

Meira Clifford

Willie Montero visits the shed that he lived in for the majority of this past summer.

Kausha Lebeau, Senior Editor

Imagine a life-sized box. Inside the box is a twin bed and a couch off to the side. On the other side of the box is a short counter with a sink. Next to the sink is a dirty, run down toilet. Imagine a high school student living in the box.

Five months ago, senior Willie Montero was living in this shed-like “home.” Although, Montero wouldn’t call it a home but rather an unfortunate living circumstance. Having climbed the ladder of success, Montero is now achieving above average grades and living more comfortably on his own.

If trials are truly what make people stronger, then Montero is almost superman.

This story of triumph and success started when Montero’s mother decided to move to Idaho. Not wanting to leave his home state and Highland, where he has attended for all four years, Montero opted to stay and face the big world solo. Since January of last year, Montero has been living on his own, other than a couple of nights here and there with friends and family.

“There have been a lot of trials,” Montero said. “There was a point during the summer where I was living in the shed.”

At this particular shed, which one couldn’t comfortably call a home, “there was no stove to cook food on and there was no food in the fridge,” Montero said.

To use the toilet, Montero would have to flush it with water, just as they do in third world countries.

“I know that people have had it worse than me and that’s what has kept me going,” Montero said. “It’s been hard to be on my own. It’s been hard not having guidance like other students have. It’s been hard to balance school and a steady job.”

Montero receives help from his mother, what little she can give. On the other hand, his father has never been in the picture.

As of late, Montero has been working as a janitor in North Salt Lake. Montero works nights but such a job is not sufficient for his current living situation. He’ll have to find something different, something more reliable.

“I have to provide food for myself and I have had to be responsible for my own transportation,” Montero said. Through this and more, Montero has learned to be independent.

“I’m 18, I’ve got to grow up. Everyone has to at some point,” Montero said.

Having made a comeback from freshmen year, Montero is achieving above average grades and is well on track to graduation. Because of his current living circumstance, Montero finds himself having more success in school.

“Living on my own has motivated me. Education is so important. Just that diploma is going to help so much,” Montero said.

Most importantly, Montero has learned that the decisions he makes right now have a major impact on his future.

Overcoming adversities is a hard task. For most people it requires a great deal to get back up after being knocked down and for some select others, doing so is but a piece of cake. In this case, Montero has fought, scratched and more importantly has believed he can achieve.

On to bigger and better things, Montero has received his acceptance letter from the Salt Lake Community College. Although SLCC is only a couple of miles from Highland, the difference represents an impossible journey traveled. SLCC means the world to Montero. To him, college means higher education which then means greater opportunity.

“At this point I need to focus on myself,” Montero said.

In the words of Montero, “I’ve learned that life isn’t a joke. Even though life throws punches, you have to keep going.”

Imagine Montero in a comfortable two story home with hot water and electricity. Imagine a college degree, or even a master’s degree showcased on his wall above his piano. Montero has succeeded.

When he looks back on all his hard times, Montero will know that it was the trials that made him stronger.