Work With Your Hands: Auto 2

Alex Sutton, Web Editor

If you have ever been near the Auto shop on the ground floor of Highland, you would instantly recognize the smell of motor oil, grease, and sweat from the students at Highland who work on their own cars in class. One such student is Kyle Marquardt, a Junior at Highland.
Marquardt took Auto 2, which focuses on brakes as well as steering and suspension. What sets Marquardt apart from others is his 1994 V6 Ford Ranger XLT which he does his own repairs on in class.
Every day, the students pick out what they want to accomplish, and then work on it. If they need help, their experienced teacher Doug Dredge assists them. Marquardt has done everything from quick oil changes and tire rotations, to a two week project which involved dropping the whole transmission out of the car in order to replace the clutch.
“It’s a very relaxed, work at your own pace environment”, Marquardt said.
“The biggest benefit of the class is the access to professional tools, and the experience of the teacher. Everyone in the class is really nice, and Dredge will make you laugh every time”
Marquardt has replaced at least two dozen things on his truck in the class, and not only has he been able to do the maintenance for a much lower price than a mechanic shop would charge, he has also learned life long skills that will allow him to do basic maintenance on any car he owns in the future.
“It’s a fun hobby that lets you have a sweet ride for cheap, and a strong sense of accomplishment when you have finished what you worked on”, Marquardt said.
So if you’re interested in cars, or need a fun CTE credit, look no farther than the Auto classes offered at Highland.