Henderson and Parkin add a ‘spin’ to the word ‘Savage’

Olivia Burkley

Sophomorees Hannah Henderson and Matthew Parkin perform their partner dance for the spirit bowl.

Jordyn Shingleton, Web Editor

Spirit week is full of activities. Ping pong, pole clumping, and the well know Super Smash Bros videogame competition. Yet, none of these fun, lunch standoffs compare to the celebratory battle of the classes on the last day of the week. This last Friday was Highland’s annual spirit bowl. Obstacle courses, mascots, cheering and dances all conclude with the score of the winning class.

Certain activities seem to standout to everyone, more than others. This year the most obviously adored challenge was the sophomore partner dance. Choreographed and performed by the talented dancer, Hannah Henderson, and her partner of choice, Matthew Parkin, this well executed dance seemed to get everyone on their feet.

Stunts including backflips and lifts got the whole school excited. The couples’ facial expressions also sold the dance to the whole student body, especially the sophomores.

“Well obviously our dance was about being savages,” Parkin said. “So we thought what a better song than ‘Look At Me Now.’ Because obviously we were looking the ‘baddest’ in the school during that partner dance.”

The crowd obviously loved this dance, the noise and actions of every person in the room showed that.

“It was really fun to dance with such an accomplished dancer like Hannah,” Parkin said. “I mean she really was amazing. It only took us 3 practices to learn the entire dance because of how dedicated she was.”

Their moves made for an excellent performance and an admirable description of ‘Savage Sophomores.’