Lacrosse Cradles Loss of Seniors

Highland Rambler / Parker Smith

Stephen Grant hustles for ground ball in rival game against East.

Parker Smith, Staff Writer

A tough loss against in-region rival East last Monday leaves the rams in dire need for a turnaround as they enter near the end of the season. Through eleven games they come to a record of 1-10, with their last win coming on the first game of the season a month ago against Wasatch.

The first half was tight with great defense from both sides and multiple blocked shots. Sophomore goalie Keaton Campbell ended the first half with a total of six saves at the net, while his fellow defensive-men seniors Andrew Gramer and David Nonu deflected attack-men driving to the key. Junior Finn Wolf had his best game of the season putting in both of his shots on goal, both in the first half. At the conclusion of the first half, the game was tied at fives.

“We felt really good going into half,” Wolf said. “We had the momentum and our defense was really stepping up to the occasion.”

The rams came out flat in the second half, letting in two quick goals, and failing to score for most of the third quarter. Senior and Captain Andrew Parkin went the whole length of the field near the end of the third to get a quick score, powering the rams to within one of the Leopards. Moving into the fourth quarter down 7-6, the team looked to turn it around and finish it out. But the speed and power from the attacks for East proved to be too much for the vulnerable defense of the rams. East’s Seth McConkie and Andrew Wilkinson lead the leopards on a 3-0 run which crushed the chances for a come-back for the rams.

After swapping goals near the end of the fourth quarter, the game ended at 11-7 for East.

“It’s always tough playing against a team like East,” Parkin said. “But it’s especially without some of our best guys.”

The ten game slump didn’t come completely out of nowhere however. In the season opener against Wasatch, captain Devin Seui sustained a brutal injury in play and it was unsure how long he would be out until just last week after missing five straight games. Medical tests showed it was an ACL tear, one of the most gruesome injuries across any sport. Seui is certain to sit out the rest of the season, forced to miss the entirety of his senior year after playing in just one game.

Another crushing blow hit the rams during their fifth game of the season against Skyline. Senior Shamim Zamanyfar attempted to check an opposing player, which ended up with the compound fracture of his right arm, also putting him out for the season. Both of these losses are huge for the team, but especially for the defense. Both Seui and Zamanyfar lead the defense in GB’s(groundballs), during the 2014-15 season.

But the sad story doesn’t end there. During their last game at Viewmont, senior Thomas Banks sustained a serious injury to his right ankle which will most likely put him out for the rest of the season. This leaves the rams with three season-ending injuries all coming to seniors, covering all positions as well.

“Honestly, it sucks,” Seui said. “When I first got the news about my knee, I was crushed, even more after I saw what happened to Shamim. But I know our boys can flip the script once they get the groove back.”

After the tragedy that has struck the rams, they turn to leadership from Parkin and Gramer, but also from young blood like sophomores Sam Whisenant and Stephen Grant. Highland looks forward to play Alta at home today in Sugarhouse Park.