Run, Geneva, Run

Freshman Geneva Humbert Is Hurdling Her Way To The Top

Humbert runs the finishing leg in the medley relay

Ardyn Ford

Julia Daines, Staff Writer

For years, Geneva Humbert woke up early every Saturday morning to go her soccer game, from there rushed up the mountain for her ski race, and sped back home just in time for her gymnastics meet that afternoon. Hours of devoted time and training, countless injuries and piles of homework, Humbert still found a way to manage her time and do everything she loved–and she did it well.

For a long time, Humbert spent 16 hours a week at gymnastics. Alongside this she became the overall young region champion skier when she was just 12-years-old. To add to her list she has also been playing competition soccer for the past couple years as well. She usually ended up having something six days out of the week, and ended up having two separate sports each day. Humbert practiced all of these sports weekly and perfected each of them, yet she never thought she would be the upcoming fastest female track runner at highland.

“I just started running the first day at practice,” Humbert said. “I thought I was going to be the slowest one there.”

On Humbert’s very first day of practice the coaches moved her up into the group of older, faster girls. This was a very intimidating thing for a young freshman. She didn’t know the older girls and had no idea what to expect. Although she was nervous at first, Hubert claims the girls have all been extremely kind, supportive and motivating.

“I was scared when they first moved me because I had no idea what to expect,” Humbert said. “I didn’t even know I was very fast.”

At the team’s most recent track meet at the Copper Hills Invitational, Humbert took sixth place out of all of the girls. Her times have improved every meet, shaving off two to three seconds each time.

Humbert is already hurtling her way to the top, and being only a freshman, she has much time to improve and hold her spot at the top representing Highland.