Highland Outlasts Skyview in High-Scoring Affair

Julia Daines

James Pembroke looks to set up the next play.

Parker Smith, Sports Editor

From the first snap, it was apparent that this game would be a lot different from last week against Olympus. The rams jumped off to a quick start against Skyview and never looked back. Lead by senior quarterback James Pembroke, the run game for the rams proved to be very productive, which is how each of the six touchdowns was scored.

Pembroke, insistent to redeem himself from his uncharacteristic performance last week, set the tone early busting out a 24 yard run on the first play from scrimmage. This jumpstarted a full drive that consisted mostly of Pembroke, and he finished it off with a 29 yard run to the house to put the rams up early in the first. Pembroke went on to score three more touchdowns before they capped the win outlasting Skyview 42-35.

“I did all I could,” Pembroke said. “This team supports me so I wanted to do everything I could to get the win for all my boys.”

The first half was all the Rams, sustaining three long drives that all ended in a touchdowns. The game looked almost over before halftime with a 21-0 score and 37 seconds left in the second quarter, but then the Bobcats caught their stride. On their first play of the series quarterback Jackson Siddoway found Brodie Martin deep down the middle of the field for a 63 yard touchdown pass. The Rams burned the remaining time left in the quarter set with a 21-7 lead going into half time.

Skyview received the kickoff to start the second half which was returned for a sizeable yardage, which was a reoccurring theme throughout the whole game. This good field position gave the Bobcats some momentum as they charged down the field 55 yards to close out the drive with a touchdown making the score 21-14.

With the ball back in their hands Highland wasn’t about to let the game slip away from them. The second play of the series sophomore Bronson Olevao broke out into the secondary and burst down the field for a 71 yard run. This swung the momentum back to Highland putting the Rams back up by 14.

But just like that the Bobcats answered with a 23 yard pass play to get back within arm’s length of the fighting rams. With the score 28-21 and just one minute to play in the third, the rams did what they had done all game, make a comeback even tougher for Skyview. Pembroke led the Rams on another drive finished off by his nine yard touchdown run, making it 35-21. But it’s not just credit to Pembroke for his success, he explained that he wouldn’t have gotten anywhere without that performance from the offensive line, and head coach Brody Benson agreed.

“We challenged the guys up front, especially on the offensive side,” Benson said. “It was our focus all week, having the guys up front take charge of the ball game and putting the team on their shoulders, they played up to their potential tonight.”

This potential progressed throughout the night and was clear to see when the rams pulled together a 75 yard drive after another answer from the Bobcats, pulling them within a touchdown of the Rams. The offensive line pushed down the field and found themselves in Skyview territory yet again after a 61 yard burst from, you guessed it, Pembroke. He then finished out the drive with his fourth and final touchdown of the day.

Skyview got the ball back with just five minutes remaining down by 14 points, but somehow this didn’t crush their spirits. The bobcats put up another seven through the air after burning just over one minute off the clock. The score was now 42-35.

A failed onside kick attempt gave the rams the ball with outstanding field position, but one of the few failed drives occurred as the rams stalled near mid field. They punted the ball back to the Bobcats with still over a minute left in the game. But the defense stepped up pressuring Siddoway and forcing a fumble, which was recovered by Highland’s Soseti Tupola. The rams ran out the clock to conclude this high-scoring affair.

“Our attitude changed a lot from last week,” offensive lineman Colton Pulver said. “We all wanted to go out and knock some heads.”

This restored attitude will be shown again in a week as the Rams enter region play at Bountiful on the 9th.