Rams Thrill Homecoming Crowd

Taking the sting out of the Bees

Sydney Stam

Highland scores a touchdown in their 41-24 victory over Box Elder.

Gretchen McConkie, Associate Editor

Homecoming evokes memories of yesteryear. For many in the stand they might have thought they saw passes from Montana to Rice but in reality they were watching Pembroke to Boren. This dynamic duo seemed to recapture the classics as the ball sailed through the air as if in a slow motion NFL football film. But James Pembroke and Jake Boren aren’t the only players that gave it their all for the Homecoming game—everyone did. The football team looked crisp, focused, and unstoppable as they made their way to an easy victory against Box Elder 41 to 24.

The rams amassed 483 yards of total offense tonight including 353 yards rushing, averaging an astounding 7.4 yards per carry. Six different players scored touchdowns. Six for six. Pembroke, Soseti Tupola, Lilo Clark, Boren, Brady Reed, and Trayton Keyes are all heros of this game. Playing in their final homecoming game the seniors came up huge. With a 75 yard run and two 50 yard bombs Steve Young, I mean Alex Smith, I mean James Pembroke electrified the crowd. Not since Nate Fakahafua, also known as Nate Orchard, has a ram dominated the game like Boren did tonight. He caught everything thrown his way and hurdled would-be tacklers with a highlight-film flair.

Pembroke, deflecting the praise and giving his teammate the glory said, “I love Boren. We finally completed the long pass route that we’ve been working on. He had a really great game and I am proud of him.”

While Box Elder made a quick touchdown at the beginning of the first quarter, the Bees remained without anything to buzz about for nearly the rest of the game. The ram defense flexed their muscles and shut them down until allowing meaningless fourth quarter scores. Coach Benson would not have described those touchdowns as meaningless.

Coach Benson gave credit to Coach Jenson for the stellar defensive performance, “Obviously Coach Jenson does a great job with the defense and game planning. I think we did a great job on the back end as far as just our coverage.” Benson also singled out sophomore Caden Hiborn saying, “He has been a great surprise for us on the defensive line. Mason Netzler has been big up front. Having Keyes back is huge for us as well,” Benson said. “Brady Reed is the kid I am most excited for. He blocks well. He runs hard. And he’s getting in the endzone.”

Getting into the endzone seems to be contagious for these rams. Tonight’s attendees will most likely look back at this homecoming game as a classic.