Lady Rams Outrun Ogden Tigers

Meira Clifford

Junior Misini Fifita goes up to the basket for a lay-up.

Ardyn Ford, Associate Editor

After a rough first half, the Lady Rams were able to defeat the Ogden Tigers with a final score of 42-29.

The Lady Rams looked a little bit sluggish as the first quarter came to a close, only up by two in a game that was supposed to be an easy win. The second quarter did not show much improvement as the girls missed shots, made sloppy passes, and rushed through plays, creating a lot of turnovers. However, Ogden was playing at a similar level, so the score remained close at the half with Highland up by four.

A newfound energy was visible in the Lady Rams after half-time, and they were able to slow the ball down and communicate well in order to make clean passes and easy lay-ups. Their defense became tighter and they used their speed to their advantage, beating the Tigers down the court several times to score.

Senior Alex Debow led the Lady Rams through her aggressive defense and precise shot. She was the major scorer during the game, successfully making upwards of four three-point shots. Sophomore Olivia Becksted also did a fantastic job keeping the ball in control and analyzing the court in order to make the most of her team’s strengths.

Ogden also stepped it up after half-time, however they failed to be as explosive or strategic as the Lady Rams. In the future, the Lady Rams hope to focus less on the record of the team and instead, understand that anything is possible during a basketball game.

“We don’t look at a team as a good team or bad team, we look at them as the next opponent that we need to beat,” Debow said. “That’s the mindset we need to have this season.