Lady Rams Triumph Over Rivals

Sophmore Olivia Beckstead looks to drive the ball towards the basket.

Sydney Stam

Lauren Brown, Staff Writer

There was much anticipation, excitement, and nerve for the girls’ basketball team as they went into this week with the East at Highland game Friday night. They showed there was nothing to be worried about though as the Lady Rams were able to defeat the Leopards with a final score of 52-37.

East opened up with a strong start, and led the Rams 6-5 at the end of the 1st quarter. In the 2nd quarter, Highland became more aggressive as junior Taryn Johnson, senior Alex Debow, and senior Bre Moeai all made big plays to get the ball rolling. By halftime, Highland was able to take the lead with a score of 17-16.

The 3rd quarter was shown to be a big quarter for the Lady Rams as they were able to continue to widen the gap between them and East. Key plays, such as freshman Kaija Glasker’s couple two-pointers and sophomore Olivia Walkenhorst’s three-pointer in the last four seconds of the quarter allowed Highland to grow a substantial lead over East, making the final score of the 3rd quarter Highland 32- East 23. In the 4th quarter, Highland continued to dominate over East and East could never recover from it. The 4th quarter success for the Rams can be partially contributed to the number of fouls committed on them. At the end, East couldn’t regain strength and the Lady Rams eventually took another victory.

Preparing for a game like this takes much time; but luckily for the Lady Rams, they took the time needed to prepare for the game and felt relaxed and confident during the game.

“We were very prepared for this game,” Debow said. “[We] have been working very hard all season to get to the point we are now.”

And that was obviously proven at the game Friday night. Despite the pressure of the opposing team being their main rival, the Lady Rams played incredibly well, and fought hard to get the win.

“I feel like how we played really showed how much we wanted to win,” Johnson said.

The Lady Rams hope to continue this same drive to win and to work hard as they play Box Elder on Tuesday, January 24th at 5:15.