Highland Put Under Lockdown Due to Bomb Threats.

Highland High and Hillside Middle were both put on lockdown earlier today due to bomb threat.

Kyle Adams, Senior Editor

As the second semester started, school seemed normal. Most of the hectic atmosphere surrounding scheduling problems has subsided and the day was looking good.

The peace was upended just before noon today, January 23, 2017, when the urgent voice of principal Chris Jenson came over the school intercom.

A message had been left on the school answering machine saying that an individual made demands and intended on blowing up the school to kill students.

The police requested that Highland be put on precautionary lock down. Students were quickly directed to either the main gym or auditorium according to their location within the school.

Immediately students began to call and text their friends and loved ones. Hillside middle school, one of Highland’s major feeder schools was under lock down due to similar threats.

Within 15 minutes, students with cars were permitted to leave. Busses soon came to pick up the rest.

The lock down at Hillside lasted a little bit longer, but has since been lifted.

At this point most if not all students have been evacuated from both schools.

There are no reports of incidents at either school at this point.

Update:

Multiple searches of the school were made to ensure the safety of students and faculty. An initial search was made to find any suspicious objects relating to the threat. After Highland was completely evacuated, the bomb squad dogs were brought in for a secondary check. No traces of explosives were found.

“Your admin did a great job,” school police officer Sergeant Phil Eslinger, said. “He made it so that everyone’s safety was looked after. It’s easy to armchair quarterback that kind of thing.”

The Intel unit is further investigating the threat. If the perpetrator is found they will be facing charges for a second degree felony.

By Tuesday school has gone back to normal.

Feel free to check the site for further updates.