McCombe and Lund Make It into the Utah All-State Orchestra

Grace Ojewia

Emma Lund, (L), and Bethany McCombe, (R), were accepted into the Utah All-State Orchestra

Grace Ojewia, Staff Writer

Musicians are often as complex and unique as the music they play and/or make. For two Highland violinists this is definitely the case. Bethany McCombe and Emma Lund had different experiences when they started playing the same instrument, and each had distinct paths when they auditioned for the All-State Orchestra, but in the end both girls had the satisfactory feeling of achievement when they were accepted.

For McCombe, it all started on a fateful day in the middle of January when she was in 4th grade. Leaving the building where she was taking ballet lessons, she was stopped and offered an opportunity to take violin classes completely free of charge. Thus, her journey playing the violin began and she would continue it ever since.

Lund was introduced to the violin through her mom, getting her started around age 5. She continued on the custom that her older siblings had begun, with all of them starting to play instruments at a young age. Soon enough, it would become a passion for her.

Fast forward to high school where each had the skills and talent that were required to make the orchestra. When McCombe and Lund auditioned, they each had to print off, learn, and practice excerpts of music that were posted on the UMEA, or Utah Music Educators Association, website. Then, both girls filmed a recording of themselves playing the pieces and sent them in with all of the required forms.

This was Bethany McCombe’s second try auditioning for the orchestra. She first learned about it in 10th grade, particularly since several people from symphony orchestra that year had done it. The next year, (last year), she tried to audition, but wasn’t able to send the requirements in due to internet issues. The video was still uploading when the deadline passed.

Thankfully, this time around she had her learned experiences and technology did not get in the way. It was a little bit of a bumpy road when getting her answer on acceptance to the orchestra after she had auditioned.

“I had sort-of last minute learned the pieces and at first they sent me an email saying that I had not been accepted,” McCombe said. “Then they were like wait – sorry, that was a mistake you were accepted, so it was like an initial let down and then [a] surprise.”

For Emma Lund this was her third year in a row getting accepted into the orchestra. She was really excited to be accepted again especially since she loved the first and second times she was in the orchestra.

“The first year I did it I had an absolute blast,” Lund said. “It was so fun and just a really great experience for me.”

Also considering that all of her siblings had made it into All-State, it just made sense that she would try as well.

“Of course when I saw them up there playing on the stage, because I went to the concerts, I was like ‘I want to be doing that’,” Lund said. “So, I went into high school and I did it.”

Both ladies were definitely united with the similar feelings they felt after they got the notices of their acceptances.

“I was kind of like ‘Yes! Third year!’” Lund said. “Being able to do this three years in a row [is] awesome.”

McCombe had similar feelings when she found out she was accepted, saying, “I was really excited [and]…was very happy.”

When describing the most defining moment of experience playing the violin Lund said, “The most defining moment would, as a collective, be the people that I got to meet while doing stuff like this. I love to do ensemble work in music.”
The two of them have both expressed their desires to have music play a part in their futures. Due to their talents and love for music, their passions are likely to only grow from here on out.