Rams Take On Art Show

Dylan Kime's submission, titled

Dylan Kime's submission, titled "Sixteen", that won the Award of Merit in the Utah Division of Arts and Museums Travel Show Selection.

Lynne Wilson

Lynne Wilson

Lynne Wilson, Staff Writer

Webster’s Dictionary defines art as a skill acquired by experience, study, or observation. It doesn’t talk of the requirements of what is now a days considered an ‘arsty’ person, or the stereotypes of a theater student. It’s merely a discussion on the work that is required to create a personal definition of art.

The definition of art at Highland High is its own completely separate entity, determined by what students represent of the world around them. On Wednesday, this unique perspective was observed by a multitude of art students at the Springville Art Museum, where a competition displayed the creativity of not just Highland students, but students across the state of Utah.

These students embarked on a field trip initially to the BYU Art Museum, then to Springville, where they experienced tours and discussions on what art represents to different people and how it can impact a person’s point of view.

In the lower levels of this art museum, the student pieces were on display. Oil paints to stone carving, pencil sketches to elaborate metal sculptures, every medium conceivable was present. These works were created by advanced art students such as Emma Lund, whom made a self portrait using a crosshatch technique, and Max Cowley, who entered a lifelike welded metal lizard the size of his own pet dog.

An event such as this is just an example of the amazing things created by a spectacularly diverse spectrum of folks. A trip that takes place each year, Springville is a visual representation to art students what kind of pieces they can create and where they can derive inspiration from.

Although Highland didn’t place first in this competition of the arts, there is no room to doubt the magnificence that is the intensity of not just competing, but having creative freedom on a state level. The atmosphere of thought created by such a simple trip is enough to see how much students relate to art, the only negative being the bittersweet of having to return to Salt Lake, yet having the ability to share their new ideas with their peers.