Ardyn Ford

Julia Daines, Senior Editor

National Honors Society President, IB student, journalism associate editor, track star, cross-country captain for two years, consistent volunteer for three years with the Real Life service program, Mrs. French’s outdoors club member, and of course the math sterling scholar, the list can go on and on. Hearing this track record would make one think they’re learning about someone running for office. Is there anything Highland senior Ardyn Ford can’t do?

Even though IB classes don’t start until junior year, most students wanting to be in the program start taking certain classes their freshman year so they can get on track for the program. However for Ford, it was a delayed decision. In eighth grade when the students were informed about the high school IB program, Ford never pictured herself going into it. She had planned on taking AP and honors classes throughout her high school career. It wasn’t until Ford began talking to some of her older friends who were part of the IB program that her mindset completely changed and she began re-evaluating what she wanted her high school plan to be. After conversing with several older students and hearing their positive experiences throughout the program, halfway through her sophomore year Ford decided she wanted to join the program—which is much later than any other students going into it.

“IB is actually less stressful than I thought it would be,” Ford said. “Going into it, everyone told me how difficult it would be and how it takes up your whole life. My junior year ended up being a fairly easy year for me.”

Ford’s senior year schedule consists of IB English, IB history, IB biology and IB French, which are all two-year classes. On top of that she electively takes AP chemistry, calculus 3 and journalism.

“This year has been rough,” Ford said. “With AP chemistry on top of IB, college applications and taking calculus 3 up at the U last semester, it’s been so much to handle this year.”

Even with the stress of senior year coming down on top of her, Ford still manages to excel in all of her activities outside of academics. She has done cross-country and track every year since she was a freshman, and her sophomore year she developed a huge passion for service. After volunteering all throughout her sophomore year at the Hser Ner Moo service site in the Real Life service program, Ford served a humanitarian trip to Kathmandu, Nepal that following summer. The love she developed for serving others that year stuck with her and she continued to volunteer at the same service site for the following two years. Being a sterling scholar is not just about how well one performs at a certain subject. Examples of leadership and extracurricular interest are also primarily taken into account.

By showing ways someone has challenged themselves not just academically but also outside of school says a lot about their character and worthiness of this award, and oh how Ford has challenged herself. She took BC calculus as a sophomore, and following that year she took IB math as a junior. Last semester she even took a calculus 3 class at the University of Utah. While enduring these extremely challenging classes, her gpa and test scores are what put her over the top for this award.

“I’m weirdly competitive,” Ford said. “I have this need to be pushing myself as hard as everybody else. I wanted to challenge myself and I wanted to get the most out of what high school education has to offer.”

Ford’s best friend Cece Foster has noticed what an impact math itself has made on all different areas of her life.

“Ardyn actually genuinely likes math and wants to understand it,” Foster said. “She has applied herself in lots of different areas besides math, but she really loves it and taking her IB classes has helped her develop skills she wouldn’t learn anywhere else.”

Ford is not only invested in the school’s activities and academics, but she has also developed strong bonds with certain teachers over the course of her four years. She has had classes with Coach Winn for all four years and Mrs. French for three, as well as Coach Rowles as a track coach every year. She looks up to them and admires what they all have done with their lives. These specific teachers have helped her gain the determination and poise she exemplifies in everything she does.

Because Ford is so passionate about countless different subjects, she has paralyzed herself in making a set decision for her future. She wants to do everything and is still deciding what path she wants to take. Being good at all of these subjects does not make her decision any easier, and there’s no math equation that can solve that.